HELP - my poor Palm Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Honeydo, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Honeydo

Honeydo Member

Hello Everyone,

I have had this windmill palm tree for 2 years. Before it got too cold out I wrapped it like I did the year before and then decided to unwrap it in mid Feb. When I unwrapped it is looked amazing, healthy, bright green and even new shoots in the middle coming up.

Then it was hit with snow one night it became very damage (mid Feb). I left the damaged branches on but then decided to cut them off about three weeks ago. Now look at the poor thing.

Do you think it will survive? I see a new shoot coming up but they look brittle and unhealthy. It is still cold in the morning should I re-wrap until the weather warms up more?

I also mistaking sprinkled a bit of rhodo food near it and I am not sure if that has done anything to it.

Please help! I love my palm

~Rhianna

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If there's a new green leaf coming up the middle, it'll recover and be OK.

3. honolua

honolua Active Member

HI,
    Mine looked like that too....I thought it was oK at first, but then the green colour faded, the whitish colour appeared, and when I gently pulled on the shoots/spears, they came out. I have one that I then cut down bit by bit (until you hit green-they then slowly revive....check the book "Palms don't grow here and other myths") only to find no green and stinky, brown rot. I have since replaced it. The other one looked the same. I pulled out the centre and am waiting now, to see what happens. Good luck...we all lost so many plants this year!

4. Honeydo

Honeydo Member

Thank you for your help everyone. I will try to do what I can to save it. I really appreciate your help and tips.

I will post a pic at the end of the summer and show what it looks like then.