Can Pick/Red Dogwoods be White when young?

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Annaya, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Annaya

Annaya Member

We recently got a pink/red dogwood that was tagged "Cherokee Brave", which as I've seen in pictures is usually a very dark pink or red. We already have a white dogwood and my mother has wanted a pink one for quite some time.

But it just bloomed a couple of days ago and the bracts are white with a pinkish coloring on the tips. Does that mean it was labeled wrong and is really a white dogwood or is it just white because it is juvenile and will turn pink in a few years?

We are both a little disappointed that the bracts turned out the color they did and would love any advise you can give us.

Thank you

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fully expanded, with the tiny true flowers in the center disk open as well, or are the petal-like bracts around the edge still opening? If not, bracts may still be coloring up.

If it goes through the whole bloom cycle without becoming fully colored, then implication is that you got the wrong item.

3. Annaya

Annaya Member

No, the little flowers in the center of the bracts are not open yet and the bracts are only half open.

I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if they change when the flowers come out.

thank you

4. patgs

patgs Member

Our dogwood tree has been white for years. This year about 1/3 of the flowers are tinged with pink. I've always wanted a pink one, but why did it happen?

5. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

My pink one is strongly pink when opening up. It fades as the blooms age.

[​IMG]