Cucumbers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Cucumbers

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PCucumbers 17 April 2009 Cucumbers (Cross Country Hybrid)

Cucumbers cannot tolerate any frost and grow poorly if the soil is cold, so I start them about a month before the time to plant in the garden about 1 June. The pots will be kept warm above 25 C until germination. They will be just starting to vine in about a month. The contents of the pot is placed in a hill along the 8 foot trellis, four hills of three plants. The vines will be encouraged to climb the trellis. Cross Country Hybrid are most prolific and a rich green color. They are great slicing and pickling cucumbers.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CucumbersG 22 April 2008 Cucumbers. Germination in five days
    Cucumber seedlings started to protrude from the soil this morning. The temperature was kept around 25 degrees C, and the moisture of the soil was kept high.

3. geefrank

geefrank Member

Cukes don't like to have their roots disturbed, so you should grow transplants in peat pots that can be planted pot and all. I used to loose a lot of transplants before I learned that.

4. Durgan

When I plant my cucumbers the roots don't even get moved, even is it is necessary to cut the container. Actually placing a brown paper bag in the bottom of the pot is even better than a coffee filter to contain the roots.

Peat pots are a disaster in most cases, since they act like a wick and remove moisture from the roots. They can be used successfully, if they are buried in a larger pot and surrounded with soil, but a paper bag in a pot serves the same purpose, since the paper is relatively strong. Peat pots are far too thick walled for many plants, since the roots cannot penetrate the structure. My view.

5. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CucumberG 15 May 2009 Cucumbers moved to outdoor garden.
    The four pots containing two or three plants per pot were moved to the outdoor garden. They will be covered at night if necessary, since frost is likely on some days in May.

6. Durgan

Frost damage.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CucumberF 18 May 2009 Cucumber frost damage
    Cucumber plants were covered with a heavy five gallon pail and this was inadequate, so the cucumbers were all destroyed. I have another planting awaiting germination indoors. Didn't beat the season this time.

7. JanR

JanR Active Member

Durgan I am so sorry! How cold did it get?

8. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Durgan, the tops are mostly destroyed, but the stock appears to have life still. Give them a chance while you evaluate plan b.

9. Durgan

Temperature was around zero C. I will leave the damaged plants in situ until the replacements are ready. My limited experience with frost damage is to replace rather than allow for recovery, since the recovery is usually of long duration and usually not complete. Also the relatively short growing season doesn't allow for too much waiting.

10. JanR

JanR Active Member

I am surprised that they were damaged so much when it was only zero degrees, especially since they were covered. I would have thought that the buckets would have given them a couple of degrees of protection. I am glad that you have more cucumber growing.

11. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

It is possible that damage was as severe because the root ball was so tight still. Like ice cubes in a tray. If the root system would have been able to open up and spread out and down, I bet it would have been better.

12. Durgan

Recovering from the frost disaster

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GerminationC 21 May 2009 Cucumbers (Cross Country Hybrid) Germination.
    Germination was commenced on 18 May 2009 and most of the seeds germinated in two to three days, at a temperature of about 28 degrees C. The medium was kept relatively wet, but was well drained slightly sandy soil. Heat was supplied by as body heating pad under the plastic holding container.

13. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CucumberSP 4 June 2009 Cucumbers (Cross Country Hybrid)
    Second planting. The flea beetles have attacked the leaves, but growth is adequate. It has been very cold, since they were placed in the outdoor garden on 29 May 2009.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

We are very close to each other Durgan, so ya don't have to tell me about this darn cold. We only have two seasons anymore - winter and summer!

So sorry about your first crop, but your 2nd looks terrific! I have used burlap in the past for covering, and it has worked wonders for me.

Good luck with your cukes. By the way, your dog is absolutely adorable!

: )