PAMPA GRASS & PASSIFLORA & CLEMATIS & unnown bush

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by vicarious1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Is my Pampa grass dead?
    I planted it last year only it neve had any of the nice busy heads ..its in BIG resin & concrete planters

PASSION fruit flowers vines growing on arches
    Will they make new leaves on the old vines or do
    I need to cut it down and they will start from scratch
    in south Africa they restarted on the vine bbut those made fruits also
    I don't think these will ever make fruit in Vancouver ( full south )

Clematis I have several types for 2ns season only on arches
    do I need to cut it back or will they grow on the old vines ?

Dont know what the 3rd bush is? it seems to grow UNDER my PINE TREE oooh surprise
    and under our Japanese Maple. HOW can i get it away from under the Maple and plant under the pine. I try digging for the roots but to no avail the branches are up to 6 feet long ...So I guess the roots are that deep also
    ANY secret how to cut it and plant it and get roots
    Put into water for several weeks etc? I have rooting powder
    It has many little flowers so shall I cut them and put the seeds
    under the pine ?

Attached Files:

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think the Pampas has had it. Has it been like that for many months? What are the green shoots they don't look like Pampas

Number 3 may be some sort of local woody plant. It may be re shooting from roots left behind.

Liz

Liz

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

The tricky thing with Clematis is that there are three types (classified I think as A, B, and C), and each needs a different pruning scheme. Some bloom only on old wood, some on the new year's growth. The only thing to do -- if you have tags or something to identify the specific varieties -- is to look them up. Any good general garden reference book should be helpful, and sometimes even good catalogs contain information like this.

Plant #3 reminds me of some wild laurel (genus Kalmia) that grow around here. If indeed they are related, then the root system might run along more or less horizontally near the surface, among the leaf mold and other woodsy debris. Which might explain why you can't find it by deep digging. And why the plant seems to be popping up in places you don't want it. (The ground under pines is not always hospital to this kind of plant, as it tends to be rooty and dry.)

Again, your plant may be something totally different. But as for our local stuff, I've managed to move it around by the fairly brutal means of tugging firmly on the woody stem and pulling out a whole long stretch of the near-surface roots. This then gets replanted in a shallow trench you have cut into the ground elsewhere, and it's well to mark this somehow because you'll want to water the entire length of root while the plant is getting re-established. You probably shouldn't even try this because you've probably got a totally different plant, but there you go.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The last is Daphne laureola. It is a weed species in this region.

5. vicarious1

wll it was WINTER here in Vancouver i cut it back after the winter now waiting for new shoots . It grows in many houses here in Vancouver so I thought why not try.. but I dont know when and how it starts again Thank you

6. vicarious1

Hello Ron

THE DAPHEN LAUREOLA looks fine to me even as a weed how can I make it multiply without having to digg out all the roots ?
    that is the question . If I simply chop it will it root again? Thank you
    I am desperate to grow ANYTHING green under the big PINE TREE .. I can't cut the tree .. it give a nice privacy! so even if a weed I dont mind it looks like bush to me ..:-)

7. vicarious1

Ron said :
    The last is Daphne laureola. It is a weed species in this region.
    I will try what I can .. I don't wnat it under the Japanese tree and ONE is growing under the PINE
    so it seems OK with the acid floor so will to my best AND TRY :-) otherwise it simply HAS to die :-)
    I will look up the name tags of the Clematis I kept them on the stem
    We are new to Canada from South Africa where I had a 4000m2 garden where if I left my finger too long in the earth
    it would start growing :-)..
    but here I am trying my best to make it look FAST as good a possible we got a lovely home at good price but the garden
    was a total mess with ex drug habit left overs every where needles etc it took me a year to clear and still find some here and there ..such is life....thats why the house was better price :-)
    Thanks

8. Liz

Re the pine tree growing problem. Why don't you create a container garden under the tree. Some well placed attractive pots with shade lovers might be the answer instead of trying to grow direct. Azalea come to mind

Liz

9. vicarious1

Hello Thank you yes I love the concept but the needles fall per kg every week
    I get like 1 kg on the pool chair under every week the tree is like 15m tall
    I put a fushia hanging under the branch in the shade and it DID survive.
    I am just scared that the needles falling make the POT also acid.
    I am just thinking of the cost of all the pots ..
    but I love AZALEA ..but I thought they need sunshine there is south facing but sort of more shade than sun unless
    I cut away the only stylish low branches that offer privacy ..
    I lived in Hong Kond for 20 years and have many pots we actually have many pots here also
    but to add all this with pots :-) would cost 2000$ at 3-40$ a pot minimum..
    So sad this country has so many rocks and rocks are so expensive
    I Just collected a whole PINE tree trunck cut in pieces
    ...regards
    Vic

10. Liz

Vic,
    another way to do it is get some root matting and dig hollows out under your tree probably near the front where the most light is. Line the hollows or trench with the root mat (barrier). Fill it with good soil, plant acid loving plants like azalea ferns, rhodos, hortensia (hyderangea) and use the needle fall as mulch. This way the two soils will be separated and the tree roots won't interfere. This hollow method was used in a very successful rocky hill garden here in Aust. The soils they established it on were not very fertile and the garden is a stunning success. Just make sure you keep an eye on the dryness of your plants. Keep theneedles they are important to the tree and acts as a double bonus as a blanket for the lower story plants.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s442865.htm
    Liz

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The daphne should be eliminated from your property as it really is coming up just about everywhere now, with a vengeance. People who don't know what it is hang onto it. After there are millions of them here then they will know what it is.

12. vicarious1

sounds very interesting. Servus Tschuess Danke Dir Liz ..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  13. Liz

Sorry people think this was meant to go private.
    Liz

14. Jen P

Jen P Member

Hi Vicarious1,

What about putting some native ground covers under the pine? They would probably do quite well. Maianthemum dilatatum might do well, and would spread readily. Gaultheria shallon also adapts readily, and is evergreen.

Cheers,
    Jen

15. vicarious1

Thank you will look it up ...