Climbing hydrangea is going to bite it!!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by dogfish, Apr 15, 2009.

1. dogfish

dogfish Member

Hi there,
    Newbie gardener here... this happened to my hydrangea last year, and I hoped that if I ignored the problem it would go away. Guess how successful that strategy was!
    5 days ago happy hydrangea... today about 1/4 of the leaves look like this. Please tell me what to do!

Attached Files:

• leaf.jpg
      leaf.jpg
      File size:
      257.5 KB
      Views:
  2. theredben

theredben Active Member

Resembles Black Vine Weevil, but you would need more detailed pics to be sure.

Vine Weevils can only eat from the side of the leaf, so the damage is pretty telling.

3. dogfish

dogfish Member

Thanks for your reply; I googled around a little and seems that nematodes are most often recommended for management - would you agree as well?

4. theredben

theredben Active Member

fThe adults are nocturnal, so unless you like spraying chemicals in the dark, nematodes are the only option. I have used them in a greenhouse setting with GREAT results, but for outdoor use you would be best to talk to a sales representative about timing. The nematodes need it not to cold, but no to warm either. Happy Nematoding?

5. dogfish

dogfish Member

Thank you!
    Seems my neighbor has some on order, so I'll just sprinkle them on when it's warmer... thanks for your advice!