Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Blue Devil 7, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Blue Devil 7

Blue Devil 7 Member

My Bloodgood is entering it's third year in the ground, and is enjoying this spring very much.

Attached Files:

• 1e.jpg
      1e.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4e.jpg
      4e.jpg
      File size:
      64 KB
      Views:
  2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

From Seed?

Is this tree also from seed?

3. Blue Devil 7

Blue Devil 7 Member

No, this is a true 'Bloodgood'.

4. Blue Devil 7

Blue Devil 7 Member

Here is the same tree 1 week later.

Attached Files:

• 17e.jpg
      17e.jpg
      File size:
      69.1 KB
      Views:
    • 12e.JPG
      12e.JPG
      File size:
      74.1 KB
      Views:
  5. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Bloodgood from last May, planted in 2003.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

VA tree looks correct, TX doesn't.

7. Wanda4

Wanda4 Member

Photo of Bloodgood

Hi everyone,

Thought you might like to see a photo of Bloodgood leaves that I took today. It is really putting on a nice show this year. It was good color all year despite the heat we had, but it's fall color is really nice.

Wanda

Attached Files:

8. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Despite a cold week here in Paris (around 0° C), my 'Bloodgood' has almost all its leaves. They start turning crimson.
    Pictures taken today.

Attached Files:

9. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Andre, I believe that your specimen may have been mislabeled as it seems to have lobes cut nearly to the center, more like Sumi nagashi (http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10178), for example, but I personally would not be able to make a positive identification. I have not found a reference noting pubescence on Bloodgood after it leafs out, so Ron may be correct about the misidentification of the specimen from Virginia noted above. The specimen in our collection may well be mislabeled, since over 50 percent of them were, however I believe that the leaves closely match those in the photographs from Esveld: http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acpblo.htm. The leaf in the last photograph below is from one of the specimens at the University of Washington Botanical Gardens. See also: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/acpab3.htm. Vertrees, in Japanese Maples, 3rd ed., writes of Bloodgood: The leaf shape is typically palmatum with lobes divided up to three-quarters of the way to the leaf base. The leaves are up to 10 cm long and up to 12 cm wide, underside is usually a shiny, dark green. Let us know if you learn that yours joined your collection incognito. Photographs: first two in April 2002; June 2002 in very little sun; last two in October 2001.

Attached Files:

10. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Here are a few pics of my "Bloodgood" from last year, and one pic of the first bud's of 2006.. I'm not sure if it is truly a Bloodgood, but that is what it was tagged. A friend believes it is either a Fireglow or a Moonfire...

shiroi oni

Attached Files:

11. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Hello all. here are a few more of my "bloodgood" as it leafs out. As I mentioned in my last post, it has been brought to my attention that this plant might actually be either a "moonfire" or a "fireglow".

I will continue to call it a "bloodgood" till I am told otherwise by experts in the field. As per scale, the silver tag in the first picture is 3 inches.

shiroi oni

Attached Files:

12. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I have been reading this thread with interest because I have a "Bloodgood" maple....at least I think I do. It is about ten years old and I will post the two pictures I took of it in the middle of August last year. I am curious if I have the correct name. It is quite a deep red/purple into late summer and then it starts to fade - some years more than others. The fall colour is a very striking scarlet.

Attached Files:

13. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Since Bloodgood is known to hold its color well, to call a cultivar Bloodgood means it will sell well. This summer I actually toured a field where wholesale trees were grown, and what was marked Bloodgood was a red A. palmatum with rather deeply serrated leaves. Vertrees, Japanese Maples (2nd Ed.) reads, in addition to that noted above: Leaf "[l]ength is up to 10 cm, with width up to 12 cm. The dark read petioles are up to 5 cm long. ... Fall colors are usually bright crimson. The prominent seeds are a beautiful red[.]" Another photograph from a reputable nursery:
    http://www.momijinursery.com/Selection/picture15.html.

14. johnmkirchner

johnmkirchner Member

I just bought this bloodgood last year from a grower that said it was 10 years old.

Attached Files:

15. DeZwaan Nurseries

DeZwaan Nurseries Member

Only the pictures from Laurie look like the real 'Bloodgood'. They other ones are cut way to deep for a 'Bloodgood'
    The third picture is what is atractive in the 'Bloodgood', It's deep dark color that does not fade in late summer.

16. nelran

nelran Active Member

New leaves of my two 'bloodgood'. As ussually happen here they lost all the leaves after three months of inclement hot days. As soon as the temperatures go down to 60s(nights) & 80s (mid september) they start to "come from the ashes". So here I'm posting some pics with their new sprout in fall time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  17. johnmkirchner

johnmkirchner Member

Japanese Lantern behind the Bloodgood

Japanese Lantern behind the Bloodgood. Here is my new concrete Lantern which I placed behind the Bloodgood and next to a Tamukeyama.

Attached Files:

18. nelran

nelran Active Member

Spring. Bloodgood, and bloodgood's flowers.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    First posting of my Bloodgood after the move in 2019. It's in a lot of shade so not giving the blood red colours.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    These Bloodgood leaves are in the deepest shade and although they should be a deep blood red, I am not displeased with the outcome after moving this tree to this position last year.
    It is all about what gives you pleasure in your own garden IMO.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    My Bloodgood is already on it's way to hopefully a brilliant Autumnal display.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    My Bloodgood is one of the strangest !!! Yes both photos are indeed Bloodgood......

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

28th September 2020 and after a few days of cold it's going to be warm again. 20° C. Strange year !!! And equally strange colours on my Bloodgood. No complants though.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Last year I had troubles with my Bloodgood after I moved it in the early Spring, but this year the new shoots are looking so much happier. My fingers are crossed. Photo today 31st March 2021.
    Bloodgood 715.JPG

25. Acerholic

8th April 2021 and here it goes, lots of lovely new leaves that the bad frost didn't touch. Fingers are wel, and truly crossed that it picks up this year.
    Bloodgood 182.JPG