2009 Maple leafout reports

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: 2009 Maple leafout reports: Last to leafout

Still today (April 5th) there is a long list of Acer species with no bud break yet.

In the palmatum/amoenum/japonicum/shirasawanum group which is quite advanced, todays's report is:

- No budbreak yet: shirasawanum 'Autum Moon', amoenum 'Shojo nomura' and amoenum 'Sawa chidori'. I first thought that 'Sawa chidori' was dead, but on closer observation I could see the tiny red buds getting ready, so it may still leaf out.

- Budbreaking today with basically no full leaves: shirasawanum 'Aureum', palmatums :'Shirazz', 'Diana', 'Beni kosode' amoenums :'Ukigumo', 'Shigitatsu sawa', 'Peaches and Cream', 'Grenn Globe', 'Shigure zome', 'Pung kil', 'Hogyoku'.

Thus, in general, Amoenums and shirasawanums leafout later than japonicums and palmatums.

Gomero

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

Umm maf, you are unfortunately correct - the murasaki is dead. Toyama nishiki too. I knew I was pushing it with that last one.

On the flip side, if it can do ok with these next two frosts, the orange dream, shin deshojo, and beni maiko look to be ready to produce a great show of color in their first spring with me.

I will post pics - but I am amazed at what a difference a year can make in terms of coloration. I got nothing for my first year of wilson's pink and kamagata but things are looking just great this spring with no adjustment made.

3. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

We are just starting to get some leaf out at the New Jersey shore zone 7. The first to break each year is A.P. ‘Kotohime’ taken this morning 07 April. The first three pictures (01,02, 04) are from a tree planted close to the house. You can notice that the side of the tree up near the wall has more leaf out than the side away from the house. The next two pictures are from two ‘Kotohime’ that are planted about 25 feet (13) and 100 feet (12)from the house and they are way behind in leaf out.

Ed

Attached Files:

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

April 7

A. capillipes (unidentified cultivar, 2nd year in ground, sun)
    A. palmatum 'Eddisbury' (established, semi shade)
    A. platanoides 'Prigo' (Princeton Gold) (established. first Norway maple, full sun).

5. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

My stragglers finally started leafing out during the past week: A.s. Autumn Moon, Beni hoshi, Oregon Sunset and Beni ubi gohan. Autumn Moon is typically one of my last maples to leaf out, but Beni ubi gohan was later than usual this year, perhaps due to moving its container to a shadier location.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sorry to hear that Paxi, that's one I would rather have been wrong about. On the other hand you should be in for a treat with the others you mention, Orange Dream is almost like a later Katsura, and Shindeshojo is possibly the most intense Spring colour.

Here in the UK, Katsura, Kiyohime, Murasaki Kiyohime, and Sango Kaku are pretty much fully leafed out. So too are Red Filegree Lace and Filegree but I believe these two are accelerated by being closer to the house. Surprisingly most of my 7 seedlings from last year are already leafing out, even if they are only 2-3 inches tall; I like to grow them small but tough.

I'll make a full list with some photos later in the week.

7. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Here in a shady pocket of the southern Willamette valley, things are progressing quite slowly. My trees have barely begun to leaf out. Alot of swollen buds that but only 2 or 3 of the 70 maples that wintered in my yard have leafed out. Katsura is mostly leafed out, as is my Berry Dwarf. Winter flame is in 3rd place, with Wou nishiki in 4th. Leading the Japonicum is Green cascade which has a few leaves open. My Shirasawanum are the slowest with buds barely swelling at this point.

Fortunately, I have about 15 new trees that which wintered in a greenhouse to enjoy while I wait.

8. emery

9 April, A. tartataricum ssp ginalla "Flame" Just planted this one this winter, the source is Somerset which is a bit warmer than here so I'm surprised it is so far behind the aclimatized species ginallas.

Finally got some rain, it's been very dry. Still a month until the "Ice Saints" when in Normandie all risk of frost is said to be past, but folks are planting out tomatoes and salads. I've been watering the newly planted and those in pots, which is rarely needed during this season.

We're doing some home renovation, I've misplaced -- or someone has anyway! -- my camera along with the world checklist, so I can't provide any pictures... :(

-E

9. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here in Central Illinois we are still a couple weeks from leaf out. The buds are swelling nicely, but that's all. After reading some of the more southern growers accounts of freezes, although I am dying to see leaves, I'll wait. Most of the potted plants that have wintered in the garage are leafing out now. It's interesting hearing your leaf out reports from all over the world because the ones in the garage seem to leaf out on the same schedule as the ones you have growing in the ground. For example, my potted Hogyoku is way behind the other potted maples, just as Gomero noted it as one of the last of his growing in the ground.
    Kay

10. Gomero

It's dead :o(

Gomero

11. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This week's favorites. Enjoy!! (File names are titles).

:-)

Attached Files:

12. paxi

paxi Active Member

wow, kaitan, makes all the hard work worthwhile, huh?

That abigail rose is spectacular.

13. Kaitain4

Yes, it is really a treat!! I go out every morning and soak it up like a sponge.

Abigail is indeed spectacular this week, I just wish she were a little LARGER! A 6 year old plant (healthy as a horse, mind you), and she's about 9 inches tall. Those leaves are tiny - like maybe nickel size. Talk about a dwarf! :-)

14. emery

Just made the rounds, a lot to report on Apr 11. Many maples decided to make an appearance for Easter, apparently!

Newly in leaf (at least some visible leaves):

A. beurgerianum

Hime haede (mature in ground - partial shade)
    Dead Nokoribi rootstock (very pretty actually, in ground - partial shade)
    Nokoribi (pot, new this spring - shade)
    Goshiki shidare (pot, new this spring - shade)

A. campestre:

Acuminatilobum (mature in ground - full sun)
    Red Shine (mature in ground - full sun)
    Carnival (planted last spring, very healthy and vigorous - partial sun)

A x conspicuum

Silver Vein (mature in ground -- partial sun)
    Silver Cardinal (mature but small, partial sun)

A. cordatum (pot, rec'd this spring, shade)

A. davidii (unknown maybe grosserii) (3rd year, partial sun)

A. japonicum Aconitifolium (established, partial sun)

A. longipes ssp catalpifolium (pot, replacement for one that froze, new, shade)
    A. negundo Sensation (established, full sun)

A palmatum

ssp palmatum (2nd year, full sun)
    beni tsukasa (moved to more sunny location, now partial sun)
    higasa yama (2) (a new one from DVM in shade, an established one in partial shade)
    shishi gashira (est, full sun)
    koto no ito (new but a large plant, shade)
    shojo (est, shade)
    sango kaku (the established but unhealthy Adeline plant, in full sun)

A. pseudoplatanus
    brilliantissimum (2nd year, partial sun)
    brigada revolution (est, full sun)

A rubescens (these in pots, in shade)
    Red flamingo
    Tickled pink

A. shirasawanum Palmatifolium (moved, young plant but healthy, full sun)

A. sieboldianum (new in ground, a large plant, sun)

A. x hillierii Summergold (not positive, moved to shade)

I think that's it!

-E

15. Kaitain4

A few Easter pics...(file names are titles)

ENJOY!!

Attached Files:

16. paxi

paxi Active Member

I will just add that sharps pygmy was the very last leaf out for me (and this time i'm sure its still alive!)

17. Daniel Otis

Daniel Otis Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gorgeous pictures, K. Thank you.

Does your Taylor tend to burn later in the season, or if it gets too much sun?

On leaf-out dates--the one species I grow that is always extraordinarily late is pentaphyllum--two to three weeks after everything else is in full leaf. I wonder if this is a characteristic of the species, or if my plants are inbred. They were given to me by Nancy Fiers quite a few years ago, and as I recall, they were seedlings of mature trees from a nursery--Occidental?--that had acquired seed from the three Joseph Rock introductions at the Strybing in San Francisco. The Strybing trees may have been clonal--a seed-grown tree and two rooted cuttings from that tree.

Does anyone else grow this tree, and does it leaf out late?

Dan

18. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I'm still waiting for the glorious color I know is just around the corner. Here are my tree's progress to date in the Pacific Northwest (Bainbridge Island, WA).

BTW, I apologize for any spelling mistakes in the filenames. I'm a terrible speller, but tried to get it right from memory.

Attached Files:

19. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

nice pics!!today 13 09 2009
    Robustum 100%
    rubescens Red Flamingo 40%
    Nipponicum 30%
    Henry 40%
    Tenellum open buds
    griseum x pseudoplatanus open buds
    Sikkimense spp metacalfi 20%
    Cordatum 50%
    davidii Westonbirt 20%
    palmatum
    Midori no teiboku 50%
    reticulatum Como 80%
    Red Spider Web 20%
    Red Bamboo 80%
    Sekka yatsubusa50%
    Tana bate 100%
    Brandt's dwarf 100%
    Kohya madami nishiki 40%
    Krazy Krinkle first open sun 60% second partial shade 30%
    Nomura nishiki 100%
    ciaooooo

20. Gomero

I see everybody is now busy enjoying the maples ;o)), I felt a bit lonely during the last month.

Lovely pictures everyone. K4, I like your shirasawanum 'Ruby Red' which I discover, but your 'Taylor' seems discolored to me, is the picture with false colors?, it should be bright pink.

This is my last report. Of the palmatum/japonicum/shirasawanum group everyone is in leaf (except the dead 'Sawa chidori' which, so far, is the only casualty this spring, I have been very lucky!), the last one was, as usual, 'Autum Moon'.

Of the species still a few without budbreak: pentaphyllum (yes Dan, it is always the last one to leafout), griseum, calcaratum, henryii, maximowiczianum, some pectinatum ssp and the cappadocicums.

Gomero

21. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Buds are still tight on pentaphyllum in S.NJ.

AP 'Utsu Semi' has always been among the latest for me.

First time I've seen that shirasawnum X 'Ruby'. Nice photo K. http://www.buchholznursery.com/plant_page.html?id=bf053
    AJ 'Ruby' and AJ 'Aka omote' quite similar to above.

Pics are all today.

Maybe it's my monitor but I see mad photoshop action on Bucholz 'Sensu' pic.

Attached Files:

22. Kaitain4

Thanks everyone!

Daniel,

I keep my Taylor in almost all shade (just a tiny bit of AM sun), and it did not burn last year even in the nasty, sweltering heat of a Tennessee August! I was quite surprised, actually. It did turn quite a bit greener as the season progressed, but the new pink foliage bursting out in the second growth flush really looked nice against that green.

My A.s. 'Aureum - Full Moon' also did not burn, which really stunned me too. I thought it would fry the first year. Instead, it had no heat problems - just some leaf damage from kadydids - and its now leafing out vigorously. NO winter damage either. I'm encouraged!

Gomero, Poetry (nice pics!)

The Ruby Red is brand new and I'm really excited to see how it progresses. The Taylor has been inside the Studio, with indirect window light. I just brought it outside, so that's why its pale. It has darkened up considerably in just a day...

Winter,

WOW, a little progress in a few weeks but not as much as I thought. Have you warmed up at all yet? Hope so! Thanks for the pics!...
    P.S. Post a pic of your amazing Redwood when you get a sunny day. :-)

23. MapleMadness

MapleMadness Active Member

I've got a ton of maples fully leafed out. The last two to the party were 'Hogyoku' and 'Osakazuki' but they are beginning to push.

I added a slideshow of photos.

24. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I am soooooo jealous. Everyone's maples look so beautiful.

I swear my maples took lessons from a burlesque dancer - their teasing is driving me crazy!

Boo hoo for me. LOL.

BTW, here are the Coastal Redwood photos you requested K4.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  25. emery

Some computer problems and not much time, haven't been able to report. Here are the new leafouts as of April 17. We had a nice rain which every one appreciated. Still can't find my camera, sorry... :(

palmatums:

Hogyoku (young graft from DVM, shade)
    Orangeola (ditto)
    Fior d'Arancio (ditto)
    Villa Taranto (mature in ground, shade)
    Chitose yama (ditto, full sun)
    Ariadne (ditto, partial shade)
    Shigitatsu sawa (establishing, partial shade)
    Orange Dream (gets less sun than the earlier one)
    Trompenburg (est, full sun)
    Okagami (old and sick, full sun, bad case of vert, dying)
    Seiryu (full sun)
    Osakazuki (est, full sun)
    Kinran (2nd year, good plant from Maillot, full sun)

rubescens "summer snow" and "yakushima nishiki" both young from Esveld, pots in shade

pseudoplatanus, my variegated seedling 2nd year in shade.
    "Leat's cottage" first year in ground. Darker pink than the earlier Brilliantissimum.
    The native sycamores are not burst yet...
    olivaceum. Full sun, pseudomonas problems. Jury is out.
    japonicum vitifolium (well est full sun)
    shirasawanum ssp. (2nd year partial shade. Good plant)
    sinopurpurescens (3rd year not yet est. full sun. not done much)
    x conspicuum "Elephants Ear" (partially established full sun, but not really going yet)
    longipes ssp amplum "Gold Coin" (Est, partial shade)
    pectinatum ssp forrestii (1st year, partial shade)
    pectinatum "Sparkling" (established, full sun)
    rubrum "Candy Ice" (established, partial sun. Much earlier than the ssp which hasn't budged)
    davidii "Selection" (not sure this doesn't have root problems. full sun, 3rd year).
    beurgerianum mino yatsuba (new pot from Esv, shade).

Getting fast and furious, I'm trying to keep up with the logging! But I think that's it for today.

-E