Recommend a narrow, columnar conifer?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by boondoggle, Apr 13, 2009.

1. boondoggle

boondoggle Active Member

I can't find a recommended list for BC of small (not dwarf) to medium sized columnar conifers that would work in my border. I need something narrow, say, not much bigger than a meter across, ideally dark green or blue in colour.

I've looked at C. nootkanensis pendula - great tree, but sadly, it will get much too big for the site, and have been told Vancouver is too soggy for all the Junipers I thought were attractive.

The bed where I want to plant it is close to the house, and full west, with southern exposure.

Many thanks!
    Boondoggle

2. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

If you don't mind doing mail order, you can get Picea abies 'Inversa' from Darren at Whistling Gardens in southern Ontario ( http://www.whistlinggardens.ca/ ).
    Nice dark green, and super narrow.
    The grafts are very small though, so need to be trained for several years.
    Darren sent me a couple of photos of his larger specimens -- looks like just what you need : Even narrower than Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' (....another option for you -- more blue, and also much better known in the market: I don't know of anyone else who sells Picea abies 'Inversa').

3. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

There is a book entitled: Dwarf and Unusual Conifers Coming of Age by Sandra McLean Cutler. Might be a good place to start some research.

Michael