Identification: Unusual bloom - Can anyone ID this plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Cryptanthus84, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Cryptanthus84

Cryptanthus84 Member

I purchased this plant at the annual greenhouse sale at my home university several years ago. Unfortunately, the greenhouse worker did not know what the genus was, though she was correct when she said the plant puts out showy blooms each year. These photos were taken in mid-June; by mid-July, the plant had 10 or so blooms like the one shown in the photos. The inflorescence has stunning coral or pink stamens and styles. Typically 4-6 pink, berry-like fruits 1-1.5 cm in diameter are borne per flowering stem. The foliage is dark green, and there is purple or brownish mottling on the stems. This plant has done well indoors in a north-facing all-season porch.

Bottom line is, I have absolutely no idea what kind of plant this is! Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like Scadoxus sp.

3. Cryptanthus84

Cryptanthus84 Member

Thanks so much, Lila! Based on your information, I can conclude that my plant is Scadoxus membranaceus (Amaryllidaceae), a shade-loving native to South Africa. Too bad it is not hardy enough to grow as a perennial in Minnesota! My next goal will be to plant some of those seeds indoors and see if they grow.
    Thanks again for the prompt reply!

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Cryptanthus84

Cryptanthus84 Member

It's done well as a houseplant for the past two years, though it's not quite as 'full' as it was when these photos were taken and puts out fewer blooms (I guess it's time to fertilize). But now that I know that it is, indeed, a shade-happy plant, I don't feel quite so bad about keeping it locked up indoors :)