Hoya who?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by frauleinlayla, Apr 9, 2009.

1. frauleinlayla

frauleinlayla Active Member

I finally gave in and purchased a Hoya.... they were cheap at Lowe's, and this one was pretty much the only decent looking one. Only, I have no idea what kind it is, or how best to care for it.

It's in a 3.5 inch plastic pot (which, for now, I've stuck into the terracotta pot in the pictures), with the biggest leaves being 3.5 inches. I have it sitting near a window where it gets medium filtered light in the morning and bright filtered light for most of the day (with occasional direct sunlight for a bit in the afternoon - is this a problem?).

Any info about what kind of Hoya it is, what to pot it in (and what size pot), and it's main requirements in terms of temperature, humidity etc. will be greatly appreciated! I know there are some Hoya fans among you, so come help me! =)

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's the basic hoya carnosa.

keep it in that size pot - they like to be root bound, so that's a good size for the moment. i'd repot it though, into proper soil (peat is not the right thing for hoya). i use orchid bark mixed with a bit of regular soil as they like very well-draining soil. water thoroughly when the growing medium is kind of dry (not completely though).

they like bright indirect light - should not be right in front of the window.

3. frauleinlayla

I'm just holding her up to a window in the shots so you can properly see her, this is her normal home. She's about 2-3 feet from the window, and slightly off to the side, so that the direct sun only catches her in the evening when I have the blinds open (usually they're down, creating really nice filtered light). =)

Also... and this might be a reeeally stupid question: would she be okay in cactus soil? I have successfully used that stuff for so many plants that require quick-draining soil. What do you think?

Attached Files:

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It is a carnosa, often refereed to as Krimson Queen.

I guess you could use cactus soil, anything that drains well. I like to use a very small amount of reg soil, (less seems to be better) Perlite, and some small orchid bark chips.

5. frauleinlayla

Whoa, I just went to repot it, and the soil is anything but fast-draining. I got rid of as much of the old soil as I could, and right now I'm giving it a couple of minutes to dry off a little bit more. Then I'll put it in the 4 inch terracotta pot in cactus soil. Should be okay, I think, the roots looked good! Thanks for your help! =)

6. joclyn

yeah, the majority of plants sold at lowe's & home depot are potted up in peat - nasty stuff, that.

cactus soil is *okay* - hope you made a point of using as many of the larger pieces in the bag as is possible :)

my mix is mainly orchid bark - just a tiny bit of regular soil and i throw in a bunch of perlite to add to the drainage factor.

good to hear the normal location is away from the window :) it should do very well for you in the spot it's in!

7. frauleinlayla

Yep, it's got a lot of woody looking bits in it. Once I move from my tiny apartment to a roomy house in May, I'll invest in better soils and ingredients for mixes... right now, I just don't have anywhere to keep them. My tiny kitchen already has a corner stuffed with regular Miracle Grow, cactus soil, sphagnum moss, antifungal spray, and fertilizers. =D

8. joclyn

oh, be careful!!! once you have 'unlimited space' in the house, you'll think you can buy everything you see...because, well, you have the storage space now! lol, you'll quickly lose the extra storage space (if you're as addicted to plants as i am, that is! ;) )

9. frauleinlayla

Haha, joclyn, I know! I counted my plants yesterday, and I have 37.... and that's in a tiny 2-bedroom apartment. Granted, most of them are in 4" pots, but that's still a lot. =)

Another question about the Hoya... she has three trailing stalks. Two of them are intact, as in, they look like they will develop new leaves. But one of them has been cut off, and the last half inch of that stalk (the piece after the newest set of leaves) is dried up. Is that part just not gonna grow anymore? Or what? =(

(You can see it in the third picture of my first post)

10. joclyn

i've noticed a couple of stems with the same dried ends on some of my hoya, also. i don't know if that means that's the end of growth for that stem or not.

anyone know???

11. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I think that comes from heat .. I have had the same problem with my Hoya .. I have it hanging close to my 52 inch lcd tv and it throws off alot of heat .. and the ends just started drying up .. i need to move it soon .. some plants dont mind being close to a tv and some dont like it at all ..

Marion

12. frauleinlayla

Hmm, I don't know... the dried out stalk definitely ends in a clear cut, so I don't think it's just heat. That could contribute to it, though. I guess my question is: If a Hoya stalk has been cut off right after a pair of leaves, is it ever gonna keep growing?

13. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

You should get new leaves .. or a new vine start from the node .. most hanging plants are like that ... wll get new growth if leaves fall off it is jut like pruneing a plant back ..

Marion

14. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Is the cut end dead looking brownish? If yes cut it back to but not into the green living stem if not leave it alone. Sometimes if damaged the stem will die back to the last set of leaves and then continue on again. With Hoya's the more bright, indirect light the more blooms. I kept mine right on the window sill with a deep overhanging roof and it bloomed very well.
    barb