West Vancouver

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

First posting in 2008

It's nice to know we have friends in West Vancouver, and Scouts too. We'll start with one thread for all of West Van, then see if there's enough activity to split it into areas.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Orchard

Orchard Member

Kanzans in West Vancouver

Park Royal Shopping Centre welcomes visitors with avenues of Kanzans at both the North and South entrances. Single specimens are also dotted around the complex.

While in the area, the Kanzans on Taylor Way are almost in full bloom. By the weekend the boulevard will be a canopy of pink. Pictures to come on this spectacle at the weekend.

Attached Files:

3. Orchard

Orchard Member

Taylor Way Cherries in Full Bloom

The Kanzans on Taylor Way are now in full bloom and form beautiful avenues on either side and through the medium of Taylor Way north of the highway.

A large Avium can also be seen close to the round-about at the northern end of Taylor Way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. Orchard

Orchard Member

Whitcombs in West Vancouver - FIRST POSTING IN 2009

First posting in 2009

Whitcomb cherries are just starting to bloom close to the water in West Vancouver on Argyle Street at 21st and 22nd Streets. The largest tree on Argyle at 21st is an isolated specimen, but the smaller trees close to 22nd street are on the boulevard, but also in the adjacent apartment block garden.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Whitcombs in West Vancouver

In early stages on Camano Island as well, on garden site that seems to be rather cold and damp (multiple kinds of trees and shrubs froze back or out this winter).

6. Orchard

Orchard Member

The Ambleside Area has a number of small cherries in bloom, so while shopping in this area or enjoying lovely Ambleside Park and the Sea Wall take some detours to view the following blossoms:

Akebono on North Side of Marine Drive at 14th Street and Somei-Yoshino on South Side of Marine Drive at 14th Street
    [edited by wcutler 20090726: what's posted here all look like Akebonos]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  7. Orchard

Orchard Member

Is this Pink Perfection?

This little tree seems to meet the definition, except for the stamens. It is on Bellevue between 18th and 19th streets.

8. wcutler

Sorry, it's a plum. Prunus x blireiana. It's the single stems off the branch that have to be the give-away. Pretty, though. Pink Perfections probably won't be out till the beginning of May, so you're safe not guessing them until then.

9. Orchard

Orchard Member

The Kanzans at the northern most part of Taylor Way should be in bloom by the weekend. See my 2008 pictures for reference.

Park Royal shopping Centre has a profusion of Kanzans and the Village on the South West Side of the Shopping Centre has an avenue of young Kanzans. This one just started opening its buds, and the others are covered in dark pink buds, which will be out by the weekend, I am sure if this weather continues.

Attached Files:

10. Orchard

Orchard Member

Re: Amanogawa in West Vancouver's Village at Park Royal

This tree was a lone speciman in the Village close to Home Sense.

11. wcutler

Wow, an Amanogowa. How did West Van beat out the West End with that cultivar? I didn't think they were in bloom yet anywhere. Nice pix too.

12. Orchard

Orchard Member

Re: Horseshoe Bay in Bloom

The Somei-yoshino trees are in full bloom in Horseshoe Bay. There are two groups- one close to the ferry terminal and one close to the Boathouse Restaurant.

Kanzans are in full bud along the water front and should be out by the weekend if this lovely weather continues.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

Re: Horseshoe Bay in Bloom

Joan, these trees look like Akebono to me. I'm not sure I can say what makes me think that, but they look just like the ones that I know are Akebonos. For one thing, almost no somei-yoshinos get planted, because Akebonos are much healthier trees, so it would be rare to find young Somei-yoshinos. And the older trees look a lot like the younger ones, just older. Akebonos are a bit later than Somei-yoshino, and I don't think young Somei-yoshinos would still have as many blossoms when those did in that setting.

I have recently seen some young trees marked "Yoshino cherry". Some of those are Akebonos on Lower Mall at UBC, and some were in a nursery in Mt Vernon and did look like they might be Somei-yoshino.

14. wcutler

Amanogawa time in West Van. I was with Leslie, the designer of the Ornamental Cherries book, and by the time we'd finished our walk, she totally knew Amanogawas. Starting with the one across the street from her, where did that come from! Around the corner, we stopped to admire the second tree pictured and ended up talking to the owner, who knew it was an Amanogawa, and Leslie realized they'd taken an art class together. I liked how the tree fit so well into its siting between the house and the neighbour's upright beech.
    20090505_11Haywood_Amanogawa_Cutler_4525.jpg 20090505_11Haywood_Amanogawa_Cutler_4526.jpg 20090505_Haywood11_Amanogawa_Cutler_4527.jpg 20090505_Haywood11_Amanogawa_Cutler_4528.jpg

I don't remember where the third tree was but it was really tall, and the fourth was across from the Kay Meek Centre.
    20090505_WVan_Amanogawa_Cutler_4534.jpg 20090505_Mathers15_Amanogawa_Cutler_4536.jpg

15. Orchard

Orchard Member

Re: Whitcombs in West Vancouver - FIRST POSTING IN 2010

First posting 2010

A single Whitcomb on the Sea Wall close to 19th Street is in full bloom. A bench is situated under its branches so one can enjoy the lovely blossoms while taking in the seaside ambience. Bees were enjoying the fruits of the season on the blossoms this morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  16. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

These lovely trees are just up the hill from Marine Drive on 18th. They are in front of the Legion.

nr. legion_west Van_2010_DSCN0760.jpg 20100309_18Marine_unknown_jCurrie.jpg

This tree is in a private yard. The location is in the alley between 18th and 19th. You can actually see the other trees in the next block, if you look down the alley.

2010-WestVanAlleyBtwn18th:19th_unknown_jCurrie_DSCN0765.jpg

17. Orchard

Orchard Member

New Posting for 2011- Whitcomb on West Van Sea Wall

The Whitcomb I identified last year is in flower, but past its best with all the rain.... I have left it too late, but here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

18. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

I saw these in bloom on the hill going down 18th Street from Marine Dr. There are 4 trees and start at Ambleside lane. I think they were planted last year or so. They are small at about 8' or 9' tall. At last a tree with blossoms I can reach. I believe they are Somei-yoshino.

19. wcutler

Not a timely posting, sorry. I think the trees in the last posting are 'Akebono'. Am I just imagining seeing staminodes?

20. wcutler

Ruth Raymond posted this on flickr and sent it at my request so we could get the location on our map. It's been posted before, but this is a particularly attractive photo. 'Akebono' on both sides of the sidewalk on 14th between Bellevue and Marine Drive.

Edited 2018may3 by wcutler: weren't these lovely? They're gone now. After redevelopment, there are dogwoods there now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  21. Susanhuang28

Susanhuang28 Active Member

5 mature and beautiful "Akebono" cherry trees are in full bloom which are located on 700 St. Andrews Road at 700 Barnham Road.

Attached Files:

22. Susanhuang28

One beautiful "Pendula" is located at the corner of the North East side Taylor Way. (Near by Stevens Drive)

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

'Yae-beni-shidare', a nice one.

24. Susanhuang28

There are 11 small but nice-looking Pendula located on Clyde Avenue in between 13th street and 14th street.

Attached Files:

25. Susanhuang28

7 Shirotae trees are in full bloom, and the location is in between Onslow Place and Normanby Crescent on south side of Stevens Drive.

Attached Files: