need suggestions with blueberry problem.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by correnta, Apr 6, 2009.

1. correnta

correnta Member

I planted 100 blueberry plants 3-4 years old that came from the supplier in 1 gallon pots. The variety is ( 25 St. Cloud) and (75 North Blue) supposed to be good for our zone 3a (100 Mile House) I planted them in May 2005, in soil ammended to ph 5 with
    sulphur pellets, and peat moss. they are irrigated with 2 (1/2 lph) drippers per plant.
    each spring I give them a boost of 20-20-20- liquid fertilizer despite this the plants have regressed year by year, last year only 2 plants bore fruit. There doesnt seem to
    be an insect problem, and we have had decent snow cover the last few years.
    In the same orchard I have 200 sea buckthorn trees, and 150 mixed varieties of Black and red currant., and they are thriving nicely. Any suggestions from other berry growers are surely welcome.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'm inclined to think the alkalinity is not being kept at bay or the 20-20-20 is damaging them. What do the leaves look like? Any chlorosis?

3. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Wow! 100 blueberry plants? The BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands has an agriculture mentoring program. Perhaps you this program would be appropriate for you to get in contact with other berry growers.

4. correnta

correnta Member

Ron B.
    Thanks for your reply, I don't think chlorosis is a problem, there doen't seem to be much additional
    growth from existing branches, but new shoots grow from the roots. The snow has melted today,
    I can test the ph soon as the soils a bit dryer. What is the Problem with the 20-20-20 if used properly?

5. correnta

correnta Member

growing4it
    Thanks for your reply, I'll go on line to the Ministry of ag. and see if I can track the program down.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Triple 20 seems way too strong for blueberries and might be the wrong pH as well.