Is this KALE and IF yes what type is it ?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by vicarious1, Apr 6, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello
    I walked down our service drive past a empty plot in Vancouver Canada.
    The house has demolished etc..no walls and there weree +- 40 small purplish Kale like growing in the middle of the dirt and small rocks. The position looked as if it was a veggie patch before . I dug them all out and we replanted them as per photo.
    Hey 40 x 2.99$ in the shops a gardeners Xmas.
    (pic 1 -3 is the Kale found and planted)
    They look a bit like our normal Kale but seem to grow more horizontal than vertical. Just want to make sure we are not planting some imitation Kale that not the real thing. :-)
    The roots were quite long & strong down into the dirt on main getting thinner and thinner and many small feeder roots around. ..
    (The 4th pic is our normal KALE )
    I hope its not ornamental as they don't like summer heat I read and are not eatable.
    http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/features/foliageplants/ornkale/ornKale-Cab.htm
    Thank you so much for any help on this

Attached Files:

2. Galiano Gardens

Galiano Gardens Member

Yes that is Kale! I can't tell you what kind of the top of my head as there are many varieties.

3. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

The colour reminds me of the ornamental kales that you see in planters during the fall and winter months. If you search Google images for 'ornamental kale' you'll see what I mean.

Anne

4. vicarious1

THNAK YOU ...snif snif ...I was hoping for the eatable KALE ..as ornamental does not like the sun and summer heat...but l'll give it a try...as Galiano said there are so many types.

5. correnta

correnta Member

I think the name of the Kale is Russian Red, It showed up in a Mesclun mix seed pack I had and
    then I got a pkt from a mail order seed house (I think william Dam) but they arn't listing it any more.
    The ornamental kale usually has white edges and tighter foilage. It's good to eat and also is a nice garnish.

6. vicarious1

GREAT NEWS thank you so much ... ( yes I was thinking also that the decorative one should sort of be tighter more circular)

7. cindys

cindys Active Member

Have a look at this Kale from West Coast Seeds: Red Russian
    It sure looks like what you have. I have bought some Kale that looks like your one at Granville Island Market from the organic place.