Chartruese green leaved maples- ideas

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Charles Richard, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello,
    I would like to plant a maple (one not too big) in front of the house. It would get morning sun in the morning in the summer months. In the winter it would be protected
    and would not get that much sun at all. I have two thread leaved, weaping maples, one in a large concrete pot and the other in the ground at the front of the house.
    Hoping that someone could give me some ideas on a maple that has chartruese green leaves (yellow/lime green leaves).
    Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

3. James M

James M Member

4. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Sister ghost or shigitatsu sawa too.

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The most stunning of all - Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum - Full Moon'...

6. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Good call I forget about that beauty as I can't grow it well down here :(. I'm going to give a try one of these days though. Autumn moon holds up ok, so maybe I can find a good spot that it will survive.

7. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Matt,

I put mine on the NorthEast side of the house, under the shade of an Oak. It gets an hour + of early morning sun, and some dappled light later in the day, but is completely shaded otherwise and is in the coolest "microclimate" on my property. So far its doing well - no crisping of leaves even in the dog-days of Aug. last year with temps near 100.

8. tjcher

tjcher Active Member

You might consider Acer Shirasawanum "Moonrise". It is supposed to be hardier than the other shirasawanums and is supposed to be able to handle full sun without leaf scorch. I bought one last fall, planted it in a pot, and it hasn't started to leaf out yet. I am zone 5 (colorado) and it did fine here in Sept / Oct, but in those months, I have some shade in the heat of the day....

We'll see how it takes a full summer here...
    Tom

9. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I am also becoming a fan of this tree, though only on the strength of a single year's experience. I was starting a garden at a newly built house and hadn't done the smart thing and spent a year closely observing patterns of sunfall and moisture, etc., around the property. The spot where I planted 'Moonrise' turned out to be much sunnier and drier than I'd expected (though sheltered from the wind). Nonetheless the little tree -- a good-sized specimen from ForestFarm -- looked splendid all summer.

I'm still waiting for leaf-out here -- night temperatures still hover around the freezing point -- but so far the buds look nice and healthy.