Sources for native NW butterflys fo my garden.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by cbale224, Apr 3, 2009.

1. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I want to add larva and the eggs of native Northwest butterflies to my garden. I have been very careful to add perennials and annuals that can provide them with food in the larval stage and then nectar when they reach the butterfly stage. Does anybody know of sources? My garden is in Seattle and it is Zone 8. Most likely would be the Monarch and the Western Tiger Swallowtail.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if you've got the types of plants they need to get nectar from and those that they need for the larval stage, they'll come on their own. although it may take a couple years, it'll happen.

do you have the plants in areas that don't get a ton of foot traffic passing by? sometimes a quiet side or back area is best so they don't feel threatened by people walking around a lot.

3. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

Joclyn,

I took my test plot down to bare soil and amended it. I added shrubs that would provide shelter and food source. I divided the entire area into 8 sub ecosystems based on sun exposure, etc., and started to replant around the shrubs with perennials that would supply food in the larval stage as well as the adult stage. I am in year two of this process. I was assuming I will see the real result next year. I did not plan for minimal traffic, but that will be the case.

4. joclyn

you may see some bits of progress this year...i'd add some type of water feature, also. just a small fountain would be enough...lightly cascading water that will spray out a bit with a shallow pool they can go into if they want.

5. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

Good thought...Thank you.

6. joclyn

please post pics of your visitors!! :)

(i mean the butterfly type)