Carpeting on pathways?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MargaretH, Mar 24, 2009.

1. MargaretH

MargaretH Member

I work for a non-profit senior's housing society. We have 48 slightly-raised garden plots.

Some of the seniors like to have carpeting laid down on the pathways to inhibit weeds and grasses. Others hate the carpets because of the bugs that live beneath.

Can I have some comments from avid gardeners about the efficacy of carpets vs no carpets?

Thank you!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've always found them to be an open invitation to slugs and other nasties.... I prefer wooden walkways, but I can see how that would pose a hazard to seniors.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Any surface will have to be maintained for safety. Carpet can fray, and develop bumps, ripples, and holes---stray raveled threads---all of which can easily trip a walker with sight or balance issues. It would have to be fastened down somehow. I agree with lorax: the damp darkness that would develop underneath would be slug heaven, and could harbor fungal growth that could spread to the plants. ---I think the best (and most "cost-effective") plan would be to have just plain old earth walkways, regularly raked to remove any stones, chunks of soil, and to keep the paths level and smooth. Raking would keep down the weed growth as well. Perhaps family members could pitch in with a rake every so often! ---Here, high-school kids are required to do a certain number of hours of community service/volunteer work before graduation: maybe a call to your local high school could net a few young plant enthusiasts to help out.

Good luck to you in your worthy effort!

4. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Could you just lay down landscape cloth and some crushed gravel?

Bob

5. togata57

Gravel might present problems for canes, walkers, or wheelchairs. Difficult to walk upon for some folks.

6. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

I see a lot of it used in public parks and it seems well compacted and relatively clean too.

Bob

7. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Could you install some of those walkways made out of rubber? (It looks like little bits of rubber melted together.) Then when it was wet, the residents can still get good traction to help prevent falls. Also, it's good for the environment, as it recycles old, used tires.

Also, they make metal (aluminum) walkways (I've seen them on risers, I guess maybe scaffolding?) that you could place black "non-skid" type stickers (or spray-in bed-liner stuff for pick-up trucks) on them for traction. However, anywhere that is not covered by one of these devices, is very slick, and I've slipped and fallen many times due to this.

8. togata57

Great, but how much does any of this cost? I daresay that this non-profit group will certainly have to consider expense in making its decision.

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Gravel and landscaping cloth is almost free.

10. MargaretH

MargaretH Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. The reason our tenants have used old carpeting is - it is free and it keeps weeds down. The tenants pay for the garden so cost is an issue. Some of the tenant gardeners like the carpet and others don't. Would the carpets encourage "bad" bugs? Become a slug haven? Do wood bugs pose a problem to gardens?

11. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

You can count on slugs taking up residence as well as and and beetles.
    You could probably toss a little boron under the carpets to give them a hint.

( BORAX ( BORON) IS IN THE DETERGENT SECTION.

Bob