Identification: 2 new plants! - need to know what they are.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lmarieaa, Mar 19, 2009.

1. lmarieaa

lmarieaa Member

The picture with the two small plants: I actually bought them from a pet store as aquatic plants for one of my fish tanks, but I was informed from a friend that they are not true aquatic plants and to take them out of the water and to plant them in a pot, so I did.
    The picture of the bushy plant: I picked it up yesterday at a nursery. They said it was an indoor plant.

P3190264.jpg

P3190267.jpg

Thanks!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the pair look like they're some kind of draceana or maybe dieffenbachia.

the little bush is a schefflera.

3. lmarieaa

lmarieaa Member

The draceana is looking a little sickly. Some of the tips on the leaves are yellowing. I took them out of the fish tank and put them in a pot about a week ago. I read that some plants so through a period of acclimation to adjust to their new environment. Are the yellowing tips just a sign of it adjusting?

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the yellowing tips could be from being overwatered while in the tank. yes, plants do go through a period of adjustment when their conditions change (repotting, moving to a new location that has different lighting and/or different heating). give it a few weeks to get adjusted and you'll be seeing new growth coming out of the top...over time, the leaves at the bottom will die off - that's just the natural growth pattern for these plants :)