Flowering Cherry Trees

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Lash, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Lash

Lash Member

Hi
    I'm new to the Hortboard, but am seriously investigating varieties of Flowering Cherry Trees.
    I live just below Grouse Mountain on Vancouver's north shore. I would like to replace a dead pine tree with a flowering Cherry. It will have full sun and not be overshadowed by anything. I have been leaning towards the variety of Shidare-yae-zakura, I do want something that weeps and is a double pink. However not sure if this variety is suited to my location. I understand that soil type and amount of water is crucial to the successful growth of the cherry tree. Anything else I need to know?
    Also can anyone suggest a good supplier in Vancouver, of reasonably mature trees.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sparse stiff habit with clot-like blobs of heavy flowers scattered along the branches make this cultivar not everyone's cup of tea. It is also prone to tip dieback in this region. Maybe see if you can find 'Pink Perfection' instead, that produces lovely flowers with nearly unique creamy centers.

3. Lash

Lash Member

Hi Ron

Thanks for that information. I appreciate it, as I know nothing about Chery Trees other than that I love them. Is the Pink Perfection a weeping variety?

Cheers
    Linda

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

No, it isn't weeping. You can see some photos in the Cultivars Identification forum in the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival forums - the thread is "Kanzan vs Pink Perfetion?", when we thought those two trees looked similar. Then we finally learned what Pink Perfection looked like. Here's one set of photos (the small trees on the right in the first photo) and here's another set.

We've set up a forum for "growing cherry trees". I'm going to see if we can move this thread into that forum. Maybe if we get enough related postings, growers will start noticing.