What is this?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by sungodess134, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

Can anyone tell me what kind of squash this is? It started growing after I planted some spinach seeds. (I got tomatoes out of that pack too, what a deal:)

Attached Files:

• 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      175.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      130.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think -- but I may be wrong (and I'm certain someone will correct me, if that's the case) -- that most squashes are identified by the squashes they produce.

3. sungodess134

yes I understand that. My problem is I didn't buy this plant, I am pretty sure it is a squash but would like to know exactly what kind it is, or maybe it's a pumpkin, I don't know, if I did I wouldn't have to ask. thanks.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You could try comparing leaf shapes with pages of photos of pumpkin and squash plants that come up searching Google Images.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I was asking (in a roundabout way) for you to post photographs when it produces squashes, since I think it is near-impossible to determine what kind it is right now.

Off-hand, based on leaves, I suspect zucchini.

6. sungodess134

thanks guys, thought I could get a handle of what it was before it produced anything because I need to move it. It is completely taking over everything. I have been looking in nurseries and so far haven't found it.

7. JanR

JanR Active Member

It looks a bit like a zucchini, but you really can't tell until it starts to produce fruit. Is there anything at the base of flower? Usually the first flowers produced are male, but I can't really tell from the picture. Until it starts to produce female flowers, you will just have to wait. :)

8. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I agree looks like zucchini, also the fact it's flowering at such a small size.

One other thought, the fact your spinach seeds produced both tomato and squash makes me suspect these are volunteers from previous years rather than contaminated spinach seeds. Did you grow any squash/zucchini nearby last year?

Also composted tomato and squash can have viable seeds so if you spread some of your own compost in the garden before sowing the spinach that could be a clue...volunteer squash can be pretty mongrelized tho so be prepared for "interesting" fruit :-)

9. sungodess134

I did use my own compost but didn't have anything in the garden the last few years. I hope it's zucchini, I love zucchini. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.