Planting a Second season potted Vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by rhinevine, Mar 7, 2009.

1. rhinevine

rhinevine Member

Hello
    Just purchased a Pinot Noir vine from a nursery the vine I believe was held over from last summers stock.It appears healthy and has a fair amount of growth on it.
    Since it is a vine in it's second year yet still in the pot how should I go about planting it?
    Would I need to cut it back to two buds or could I use the height that it has attained and just replant it.The pot is the standard size that most of these vines come in .
    Thanks,Dan

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

You can plant it "as is", but you will end up with a bush rather than a typical vine. Best to prune off all but the strongest shoot, and prune that one to 2 or 3 buds. I usually do 3 and then head off the weakest to leave the strongest 2 shoots. Give it something (a stake will do) to climb on if you have not got your trellis or arbor sorted out yet.

We are still early to expect growth, but you can plant it out now if your ground is not frozen, and if they have wintered it outside. Just dig a hole, bigger is better, and plant it without amending the soil. Check for any circling roots and cut them to prevent girdling in the future. Two foot diameter by 2 feet deep should do it nicely. Water it in, and usually at this time of year rain will do the rest till summer but we're having a weird winter/early spring (very dry) so keep an eye on it. Pay attention to the moisture this summer and next year it should be able to take care of itself. Prune off any flowers this year and only let it have a couple of bunches next year for some wonderful sampling.

Ralph

3. rhinevine

rhinevine Member

hello Ralph,
    Thankyou for the advice,I will follow it carefully.Picked up several more two year old pots a Gerwertztraminer and an Ortega,not sure if these are graftings on a specific rootstock or just started from cuttings.I was told that the right rootstock can make worlds of differance toward the quality of the grape.I am not that fussy personally and would be happy further along with just a fair yield.Could you comment a bit on what to expect from these plants in say 5 years if all goes well for them?
    Thanks in Advance,Dan in Nanaimo

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

In 3 years: grapes. In 5 years: lots of grapes. Start lurking the garage sales for wine making gear (I found 6 plastic fermenters and 8 glass carboys and other stuff for $60).

Ralph