'Shishigashira' pruning?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Cirque, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Hi all
    I've had this 'Shishigashira' for about a year, I'm not sure if it should be pruned or let
    be for now. Most other maples are easy to see where to prune and shape, but this
    one I'm not so sure. It's about 4 feet tall above pot and seems very happy. Sorry
    for the quality of pics but we've gone from the mid 50s to expecting 18 overnight
    tonight and tomorrow night, so I'm moving some of the trees that have started
    pushing buds in to the garage.

Thanks
    Cirque

Attached Files:

2. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

One side looks a little congested. I like these pruned to really highlight the tightness of the leaves to the branches and emphasize the structure. That said, I think it may be too late to prune, the sap should be running pretty strong. I'd wait at this point until summer and really look at it then. You could do some pruning and then think about heavier work next January if you feel it is needed.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably be better if you left it alone. Once cut off, it can't be put back. Shouldn't be much need or scope for pruning of a 'Shishigashira' - except maybe for one being trained as a bonsai.

4. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I think I'll do what you suggest and wait
    and watch.

Cirque

5. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

It looks fine to me. I would leave it alone.