Ailing Palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Joshooa, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Joshooa

Joshooa Member

Unfortunately I'm ignorant to what species of palm that I have (see photos). It has done extremely well for one summer outdoors, and then fine until recently indoors. I'm in zone 6a and was told that this palm could not winter outdoors. At any rate, I think it was underwatered, as the fronds on one of the trees all died. Without reading up first (one should know better), I hacked all the fronds but one. Does anybody have any tips on nursing the poor thing back to life, or have I committed murder ?

Shamefully,

Sling blade

Attached Files:

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Looks like a dwarf date palm, Phoenix roebelenii. It will not winter outdoors in your climate, and in fact probably wouldn't even be happy outdoors in Gainesville, Florida. It should be quite happy during the summer. http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/phoe_roe.cfm

I suspect it's not getting enough light. Others may have some tips on making indoor palms happy....

3. MajesticSC

MajesticSC Member

Agrees with David a lot of palms hate the indoors.. On the days u can sit it outside i would, and give it a good watering. no you havn't killed it yet. but get it outside soon as possible..........