fungus????????

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by amaneser, Feb 22, 2009.

1. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

I bought some potting soild from the local Wal-Mart. I planted different things but they all have something in common. All of my pots have some king of mushroom f
    growing in them. Is this harmful to my seedlings? Do i need to throw the bag away and get some new soil? I know the mushrooms have little grey tops on them. Most of them are in with my mago seeds. and some in with aloe

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

What was the bag labelled as? I'm wondering coz many seed sowing mixtures are pretty sterile, and wouldn't have the growths you're describing.

On the other hand, if it was a container plant mixture, meant for larger established plants, it's possible that compost is included...which could easily produce mushrooms and many other "goodies". Fungi and bacteria are important IMO, for larger plants at least...but can cause problems with seeds trying to sprout.

Most people would sow seeds in one of the more specialized mixtures for that purpose...to avoid the various competing life-forms like you're experiencing...

3. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

im pretty sure it was the jiffy seed starter soil because i bought the jiffy greenhouses too.

4. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

The fungus you are describing is what helps breaks down organic material. It shouldn't affect anything that is living :)
    I get this quite often (and other types of fungi) in potting soil that contains particles of bark and small stick pieces.

5. Brainiac

Brainiac Member