spring

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Blake09, Feb 15, 2009.

1. JanR

JanR Active Member

If I am lucky we will have a nice fall. Last year it was a very cool wet summer and we didn't have our first frost until Sep 27th, but it didn't do too much damage. We didn't have another one until early November. I picked my last carrots and beets on Nov. 3rd. I built a couple of small raised beds, 4 x 4, last year and they were the only ones that did well. I started building 3 more, each 4' by 10', made out of 2 x 10's. I still have to add soil to them. Right now there is still so much snow that I can't even see where they are and to top it off, it's been snowing all day.:( I dream of spring.

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

SPROUTS!!!!!
    My tomatoes just came up "roma "first 4 pictures", and the cucumbers just came up "last 3 pictures". They all came up overnite!! ;) :)

By the way, JanR we have 6 more hours until spring! :) ;)

Attached Files:

3. galiano

galiano Active Member

Blake are you starting seeds in a greenhouse or inside your house or what ? Isn't it early to be starting tomatoes even if Spring comes to your place in 6 more hours ? :-)

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I am growing them in a min. greenhouse "see picture" "you cant really see the invisable lid but it is there I just took the lid off to take a picture and water them {the new pictures}". I am growing them inside and I wanted to get a head start they will be in there 6 more weeks. ;)

Attached Files:

5. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

These are the old pictures if them before they sprouted.

6. galiano

galiano Active Member

I'm going to start my own tomatoes from seed this year and thought I'd plant them in my cold frame around April 1st. I usually put nursery bought plants in the ground around mid to late May, so that would give my seeds 6 weeks of growing before being set out. I think this sounds about right.

7. JanR

JanR Active Member

Sounds about right to me. Six to 8 weeks is about right. I think I am going to start a few seeds earlier and hope for good weather. :)

8. galiano

galiano Active Member

Do you start them indoors or in a cold frame ?

9. JanR

JanR Active Member

I start mine indoors under lights.

10. Galiano Gardens

Galiano Gardens Member

As far as food goes...
    I've got leeks, onions, celeriac and artichokes all happilly growing in trays. Greenhouse raised beds currently have lettuce, radishes, spinach, arugula, parsley, oriental veg and some mixed herb pots. Today we planted flats of hot peppers, sweet peppers, cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccolli and more lettuce. In two weeks I'll start some tomatoes.

In the garden we are still harvesting Kale, leeks and Jerusalem artichokes. The first round of peas and broadbeans are planted outside.
    In the next two weeks I'll plant Arugula, Spinach, Kale, corn salad, oriental veg, Radishes, more broad beans and peas outside.

I quite fancy spring!

11. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Here in Vancouver I tend to start my tomatos around March 10. Indoors of course. But I may start them later this year because they always seem sickly after I transplant them and the lower leaves always die, and although i have absolutely no idea what causes this, I need to change SOMETHING.

12. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

are they the fals leaves or the real leaves? If they are the fals leaves then they are ment to drop off when the real leaves develop so no worries :)

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

cot·y·le·don (ktl-dn)

1. Botany A leaf of the embryo of a seed plant, which upon germination either remains in the seed or emerges, enlarges, and becomes green. Also called seed leaf.
    2. Anatomy One of the lobules constituting the uterine side of the mammalian placenta, consisting mainly of a rounded mass of villi.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotyledon

14. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

No, these are the real leaves. I usually transplant when there are about three sets of real leaves, and at least the bottom two - many times, all three - shrivel and die.

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Could they be being attacked by something?