which goji plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by malsprower, Feb 21, 2008.

1. malsprower

malsprower Member

which goji plant looks healthier, the one on the left or the one on the right?

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Is this a contest??? Lol.

I'll saaaay, they both probably need more light/water. The pots look a little big and the soil dry.
    The plant on the left looks good with all that new growth at the bottom, and the leaves in the new growth look bigger.
    BUT, the leaves on the plant on the right look a little healthier up and down the stem.

I guess I can't give you a definite answer...

3. malsprower

malsprower Member

actually, i just watered the plants before i took the pictures, in the picture the soil has the illusion of being dry. pictures distort the real thing. also i give these plants light from my plant light from when i wake up in the morning until i go to bed at night. the pots, well the reason why i planted these plants in such large pots is because the are supposed to grow really fast and will soon out grow their pots according to the nursery i bought them from. yes i believe that these plants could look better if i planted them in the ground outside where they would receive more light, but it is winter. By the way, thank you for the helpful advice.

Does anyone else have any comments?

4. Bluewing

Hi Malsprower,

I just wanted to add to be careful. When plants are over-potted like yours, you run the risk of over-watering, in some case even in large pot, it can also dry out more easily. There should be enough water so that it comes out the drain holes, hopefully it has them.
    You really want to get all the soil wet to ensure the entire rootball IS getting water, but not in an overly large pot with all that unused soil. (no roots in a lot of the soil) The water should not just be poured around the plants stem like it shows in the photo. That's why the pot should be around the same size as a plants rootball, and go up one size larger as it grows, fast or not. In my humble experience, plants flourish better when they are a little rootbound, have good soil and drainage:>)

By the way, what kind of plants are those? They remind me of Weeping Willow cuttings.

5. malsprower

malsprower Member

i never knew that overpotting was a problem to plants, i always thought that it was fine because when you plant a plant in the ground the soil extends "forever" if you know what i mean. i was thinking the same when it comes to watering though, I took the photo a long time ago when i was watering my plant the wrong way, i realized that it was better to soak all of the soil instead of just the soil around the stem. however, i am thinking about maybe planting this plant in a smaller pot like you said, i will look into it more. Thank you for telling me. the plant that i have is a goji berry plant (lycium barbarum) goji berries are considered to be the healthiest food in the world.

6. Bluewing

An interesting plant!

The number one killer of plants is overwatering and it would be so much faster if they are overpotted with all that extra soil to keep them wet. There is no breeze indoors to help dry them.
    I'm glad your going to switch to smaller pots. I think you'll see better leaf production and growth.
    Some plants can be repotted ok any time of the year, and others are probably best repotted in the spring when they put out new growth. Not knowing about your plant, I'm not sure which one yours might fall under, so you might want to do a little research...

If your out and about, take a look at potted nursery plants and indoor plants as well, you'll see that the roots pretty much fill up the pots.

Good luck!

7. malsprower

malsprower Member

i just repotted the plant into a smaller pot, i think that was one reason why the goji plant on the right of the two pictures posted above died. it died of root rot. i also had that plant in the wrong type of soil which was very heavy and did not drain well. the bushier plant on the left above is still alive and is in peat moss mixed with sand and worm castings which is a much healthier soil. i sent some pictures of the repotted plant. thank you so much! i think you just saved my plant's life!

sincerely, Mallory

Attached Files:

8. Bluewing

Your welcome! Sorry about the other plant not making it before the pot change. I'm glad to hear the remaining one is doing well!

Take care now.

9. sengyan

sengyan Member

Hi Malsprowler. Why are you growing them indoors? I have a plant in my backyard that is more than 15 years old. It is very hardy.

Sengyan

10. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

It's a small plant and is unestablished, if he planted it outside in the winter-time, it would surely die. It needs to be established outside during the warmer months, so it can "prepare" for the winter months ahead.