Forcing Japanese Maples to Leaf out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Coastal, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Anyone have any experience forcing Japanese maples? I need to get a couple to leaf out in february. My current plan is to bring them in my shop in January, put them under a couple grow lights and start increasing the light and heat. Im thinking a month and a half should get them to fully leaf out. Does that sound like it might work?

2. nelran

nelran Active Member

I don't know which is your zone, but I wrote in other thread about 2nd leaf out in the same year due the climatic conditions in the zone where I live. I never forced them with artificial conditions, (It's enought for me to deal with my "normal" weather and the JMs); but I read before in some thread of this forum that somebody already did what you're asking for. I don't know the consequences -in long term- for the tree. Why you want to do that?

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Coastal, I don't have any experience forcing but I've seen tons of forced plants. the philly flower show is enormous and always has displays that show Spring in full swing even though it's still winter. JM's are always part of the show, it's definitely doable and not lethal to the plants.

There may be someone at PHS that could supply some info. Good luck.

4. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Thanks, I will try to contact someone there!

5. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Just an update, to answer my own question, and for any who may look in the future. I took a Sango Kaku, coral bark maple, put it inside the house. It took about a week and a half for the first buds to crack. Then took about 4-6 weeks to fully leaf out. It looks magnificent, and it was quite exciting to watch it develop every day. I think I might bring one inside every winter now.

6. Poetry to Burn

Coastal,

Thanks for the update. Did you take any photo's? Also what was your purpose in moving up the spring schedule?

7. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

I didnt take any photos, but the purpose was for my feature garden at the Vancouver Home and Garden Show last weekend. You might be able to see the maple on the far side of the garden, its kind of behind a post in the shadows, but it looked amazing.

Attached Files:

8. Poetry to Burn

Ya, it looks great in that pic too.

Any special precautions to acclimate it for spring?

9. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Im just going to keep it inside until the danger of freezing or frost is gone, and put it outside during the warm days.