Where art thou, 'Fujinami nishiki'?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Sep 13, 2007.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

I understand that there is some concern this red veriegated cultivar will not hold its unusual colors, but I would like to have one anyway.

Does anyone know where I might purchase a 'Fujinami nishiki' in the US?

Thank you!!

Have a great day.

2. Jerry Axtell

Jerry Axtell Member

I think what you want, may be what is being sold as 'Itami Nishiki' by Eastwood Nursery. To see the real 'Itami Nishiki' look for the current eBay listing for 'Itami Nishki' listed by Eastfork Nurasery. The maple being sold by Eastwood matches the description you gave; some of the leaves match the desescription, and some definitely don't; your right, it doesn't "hold its unusual color" consistently. Although it doen't hold its color; it's still one of my most favorite. Hope this helps. Good Luck. The plant being sold by Eastwood, wether it's 'Fujinami Nishiki' or 'Itami Nishiki', is gorgeous, despite what the (poor) photo listed looks like. It's certainly worth having, no matter what the name is.

3. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I don't think they are exactly the same, but indeed a bit similar. To my knowledge Fujinami nishiki has had the patent applied for in the US, but I have yet to see it available either. I suspect if the patent is granted we see something similar to what we have seen with Shirazz in that only larger sized trees will be released and to garden centers only at first. Nevertheless, I too am looking forward to giving this one a try.

4. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Has anyone found a US supplier of this cultivar? Been looking for a couple of years with no luck.

Anyone willing to trade or sell a scion?

Thanks!

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The variegation is very unstable. Even branches which were variegated one year, lose the variegation the year after. I understand that, because of that, several European suppliers have given up on this cultivar.

Gomero

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

really Gomero?i have one is the first year in my garden,is necessary pruned every year?
    ciao

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

8. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Alex,
    do you remember which branches were variegated in your plant?, if yes, then you can check if there are a changes this season.

Gomero