Identification: Plant identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by greenapple82, Jan 25, 2009.

1. greenapple82

greenapple82 Member

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone knows what these plants are. And how to properly care for them. The pink one has a lot of brown on its leaves. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The first one might be a Rhoeo. The second is Cordyline fruticosa. Searching these forums is liable to turn up related threads.

3. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I like your Cordy (and covet its woody stems lol), mine isn't as old as yours clearly!

4. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Cordy's don't like temperatures below 13 degrees (~55F), they like lots of bright indirect light and don't like having wet feet, so only water if the top two inches or so of compost are dry. They also like humidity, so mist regularly (or place on a pebble tray, whichever is most convenient). I see yours has brown tips so I think it would definitely benefit from a bit more humidity. Other thing, I don't know what your water is like, but i used to get ugly brown streaks on mine before I started standing my water, your looks fine atm but its something to watch out for. I hope that helps, I'm not an expert on these plants by any means but I do have one and its been a constant case of trial and error to get conditions right for it. I don't think they're very fussy really but its a very cold winter for them in England, which probably hasn't helped mine!

5. greenapple82

greenapple82 Member

hi
    so the first one (Possible Rhoeo) has grown really tall. it actually is now about 15+" tall and quite straggly. is there anyway to thicken it up a bit?can you clip the top or anything?
    thanks