My New Meyers Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by firebirdbandit, Feb 21, 2009.

1. firebirdbandit

firebirdbandit Member

I just thought I'd share with everyone on here my new Meyers Lemon Tree. It is grown on the rootstock Kinkoji. It was in a 5 gallon bucket and I bought it for $48.99 at the Esposito Nursery here in Tallahassee, FL. Its 4.5 feet tall measured from the bottom to the tallest branch. The main stem is 21 inches tall. It is 22 inches wide at the widest part. If you can notice from some of the picture the tips of a few branches look shriveled and weeping. Any idea why? Please feel free to comment. I just repoted it with Micrale Grow Citrus formula potting soil. I plan to slowly acclimate it indoors where I will be brining it to my office which has sun in it almost all day long. Within a year I should have a house and it will be planted in the ground. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

I don't know a definite answer for the leaves wilting, but mine did something similar after a repot. Have you checked very thoroughly for bugs?

As for the office, just be wary of a couple of things. Firstly, it will need to be right up against a window, not in a different part of the room. Even our brightest rooms are actually extremely dim - our eyes are just amazing organs that trick us into thinking they are as bright as outside, so as long as it is by the window it will be fine. Secondly, offices are often very very dry. It will need to sit on a gravel tray and be vigilant with keeping water in it (make sure it isn't high enough to soak into the pot)

I can't wait for my babies to get that big :) I started all of mine small - from 4 inches tall to 2 foot tall. All going through a massive growth flush so will see what they accomplish :D

3. firebirdbandit

firebirdbandit Member

Thanks for the advice. The office actually gets full sun right into it. I have a few other smaller plants there. Its a south facing window also. I do plan to put it on a tray filled with gravel that I will put water in. Thanks for the Input. I'm thinkning the wiliting leaves are because it got cold here the other night (hard freeze warning) and the garden center covered their plants (they had the sheets laying near the plants) but the higher branchs might have been exposed and since its new growth that is likely what did them in. Do others think this could be the case?

4. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Possibly - I'm afraid I'm not the expert with cold damage, my trees come in for winter, but from what you have said it seems the logical choice.

As for the difference between indoor and outdoor light...I don't know what unit light is measured in, but outdoors on a slightly overcast day, it is 32,000(light units). In a well lit office, it is 400(light units). See the difference? It might seem really bright but it isn't. However, citrus do not need 100% sun all the time, so south facing window will suit it fine :)

Now if only I can remember where I read about the indoor/outdoor light difference.....

5. firebirdbandit

firebirdbandit Member

Heres a picture of my office. Its going to go inbetween the file cabinet and the credenza, right up against the window. As you can see plenty of sun comes right in.

Attached Files:

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would also cut back to live green growth.... and avoid bringing it indoors as that will cause more stress and loss of blooms and foliage, unless of course that you have no choice... The frost protection should continue until you hear otherwise from the weather forecast. Meyers are fickle when their environment changes...

7. firebirdbandit

firebirdbandit Member

For Now I'm going to put it outside during the day and bring it in at night. And slowly get it used to living indoors. Then I will start keeping it inside longer, and then eventually bring it in to my office.

8. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

I'm curious as to what type of soil you transplanted it in?

9. firebirdbandit

firebirdbandit Member

The MiracleGrow citrus formula potting soil.