Narrow conifer name?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Alison, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Alison

Alison Active Member

This speciman in the picture grows in a yard close to ours and I admire it very much. Does anyone know what it is, or can someone recommend something like it for me to try in our front yard?
    I'm interested in knowing what the one in the picture is, but I'd also be interested in other suggestions for a narrow, medium-size conifer for our small north-east front yard... 30 feet max tall, blues/dark greens/ silver-greys in colour, definately narrow in form as there is not much space. The base of the tree in the picture is probably six feet across.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Serbian Spruce Picea omorika.

It'll grow to 20-30 metres tall eventually, but isn't particularly fast-growing.

3. Alison

Alison Active Member

Wow! Speedy result, thank you so much! So 30 metres... 90 feet?? Yikes! Any recommendations for something similar about a third this size? Perhaps now that I know what it is I should post in another section...

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Smaller version P. omorika 'Nana'. One on Vancouver Island planted around 1962 was 24' tall in 1994.

5. Alison

Alison Active Member

Thank you for putting it like that... in thirty years I may not be here, I'll chance the larger slow growing variety and enjoy it. I love the information available on this forum, thank you both so much.

6. Ron B

Typically 'Nana' starts as a bush at purchase but pulls itself up into a tree shape in time.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The normal wild-type tree would typically take about 20-30 years to reach 10m tall.

8. Alison

Alison Active Member

Any suggestions for something that shape that would grow to about 30ft when you add water?! That's really slow... perhaps I'll search for something that will grow a little faster... I want to have time to enjoy this garden that we've just acquired!

9. Ron B

Horticulturally important Abies koreana tends to be represented in cultivation by short-growing forms. You might be able to get more than one foot per year out of a happy youngster of a non-dwarf form of this species like 'Silberlocke'. You aren't going to find a conical evergreen conifer that grows two or more feet per year for years yet is seldom seen above 30'. With trees and shrubs short tends to correspond with slow. Even some slow kinds do not remain short, the frequently desired short and fast is mostly limited to things like bamboos that do have a comparatively low maximum height.

10. Alison

Alison Active Member

Have decided to give this one (Picea omorika) a try, and the "sourcing" forum is closed, any suggestions as the best place to find a nice tree? Closer to Vancouver is better, but will travel within about an hour or so... thanks.

11. Ron B

A common item. Try making some phone calls. Be sure to ask if something not in stock now will be available later in the spring.

12. Alison

Alison Active Member

Thank you.

13. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Alison, thought you might be interested to see this pic... it is Picea omorika, taken at Westonbirt, the National Arboretum in Britain, in 2006.

Attached Files:

14. Alison

Alison Active Member

I love the shape of it... it looks so much more compact than the one near my house. Is there a chance that the one near where I live is 'Pendula'?

15. Ron B

Doesn't look like it. 'Pendula' produces a crown bearing branches here and there that look like they have been pulled down into a drooping position.