Identification: please help me name this plant!!!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by crazygardener, Feb 6, 2009.

1. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi everyone,

can somebody please help me with this plant? i had received this plant off some seller off ebay (not the plant i bought but anyway), they haven't given me a name or told me how to look after it and it's driving me crazy! wasn't in the best shape either when i had received it...PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Picture 1768.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Hopefully you will get an id, but, If you don't get, maybe the seller can remember what was sent if you send an email
    Can you recall if it was an indoor plant?
    From the looks of it, it might be suffering from low humidity, dry or soggy soil, too much direct light.

3. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi bluewing,
    see that's the problem the seller won't answer my emails as they were suppose to send two totally different plants than the one they sent me, i have made sure it doesn't have soggy soil and at the moment it's out of direct sunlight..the poor thing was sent to me looking like that..

hopefully some out there knows what it is! thanks for the reply...

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I have never heard of buying a plant on Ebay.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

k baron, there are TONS of plants for sale on ebay!!!!

as for this plant, if it's NOT what you bought and the seller is NOT responding to emails to resolve the issue, you have two options - and i recommend doing BOTH!

first, leave negative feedback.

second, report the seller to ebay. they are violating the tos in multiple ways.

6. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi k baron, yes you can buy some lovely plants on ebay but because i live in western australia a lot of people can't send her cause of our quarantine but i have quite a few good sellers that can get them here.at the moment i'm in love with canna lillies.

7. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi joclyn, i have put in ebay's hands (made a case against it) and i will be leaving a negative feedback once it's finished...the seller was nice and sweet of course at the start,answering all my emails but since i received the plant, i've heard nothing...sellers like that shouldn't get away with sort of stuff...

8. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

If you paid with paypal, report it there, too. You will likely get your money back!!

Who is the seller, so I know to steer clear. I use ebay a lot, and would like to learn from this.

9. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi laticauda, no silly me did a moneyorder! the seller is marylee-jane, she's in australia...i thought she was a nice ladie at the start of course...it's not so much about the money,it's the not telling me she wasn't able to send what i bought and then not telling me what the plant's name is and how to look after it..so for all i know i could be killing the poor thing right now and not know it...

10. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Crazygardener,

That's terrible that this happened to you. At least you know who NOT to buy from!
    Sellers that have no intention of giving the buyer what they bid on sure have a lot of nerve!
    I was ripped off one time too yrs ago (ebay) didn't even get my plant! Sellers feedback was all good, that is, until "after" I won the item, then the negatives started flooding in from other buyers. I thought, oh no, I'm in trouble now! I won't say how, but I got the seller back. Nothing physical:)

Just a thought, not knowing what was sent to you, houseplant, outdoor plant, or what, you might try posting the same photo on the outdoor section here. Maybe someone will recognize it.

Yes, a negative is definitely in order for this person, and don't worry about retaliation. Sellers can no longer give back a negative to the buyer anymore.

Hope you can find out what it is.

11. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi bluewing, thanks i might just do that...

12. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Well you can!! I mainly stick to succulents and cacti as they tend to survive the trip better.

I haven't had any bad experience yet. Plants don't always arrive in good condition and its not always the sellers fault. I ordered an Aeonium and when it arrived half of it was dead due to frost damage, luckily the people I bought it from were a professional nursery in Cornwall and let me pick another plant as well as sending me a replacement for the one that arrived damaged, so now I have two:)

13. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

crazy gardener the plant you got looks like some sort of tree, a sapling perhaps?

14. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi jenri, yes you do get some really good sellers of plant's on ebay, i thought it might have been a baby tree but it's got some sort of bulb at the bottom...

15. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

just a big guess here. Could it be an avacado grown from seed????????????
    Liz

16. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi liz, i'll have to go google that and have a look...thanks for the suggestion..

17. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi liz, nope it ain't that..damn! one day i might find out what it is...HA HA HA

18. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

19. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Who knows maybe it will be an exotic gum tree :) Will be interesting to see what it does.

Liz

20. namawa

namawa Active Member

I don't know what your plant is, either...but it's very intriguing!
    What types of plants does that particular seller grow?
    What were the plants you purchased *supposed* to be?

Maybe the answers to those questions will give you/us a starting point.

I'd really like to know what it is!
    Keep us posted on what you find out, please and thanks.

21. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's an Amorphophallus, I'm not going to try guessing which.
    check here:http://www.aroid.org/genera/generapage.php?genus=amorphophallus

As for the fires WTF is wrong with people? I remember when I was about 13 I lived near a reserve and my brother and his friend came flying in the driveway one aftrenoon. They had made a cubbyhouse out of dead trees and decided to light a campfire inside :{ Needless to say the fire trucks weren't far away and luckily they contained the fire. My brother and his mate got a good kick up the arse (pardon the language) and serving from the police, fire brigade and parents alike....
    But for an adult person to deliberately do this is just unbelievable and as crazygardener points outs most of our yearly fires are deliberately lit :{

Lastly ebay, I was a seller and may be again soon as I cannot go back to my work in Nurseries. It's amazing what some people will pay for plants if they are collector's. I have found it's better than sitting at the markets (and somedays better than some nurseries) and I was selling about $100 to $150 worth each week but only posting about a dozen plants at the most. It's worth it but I had to make sure I was spraying more regularly in my shade house to ensure I wasn't sending pests or diseases.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  22. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi chungii V, i think we have a break through, i brought inside and it's looking a bit better now and i have a new shoot growing right next to it..it might take me a while to find the name but when i do .i'll let you all know...

23. crazygardener

crazygardener Member

hi guys..i found the name it"s a Amorphophallus kiusianus! (voodoo lilly) it's one of the plant's i had bought from this seller but doesn't look like the picture at all....if the silly person had emailed me to tell me what it was ,everyone wouldn't be going crazy, not knowing what it was..anyway doe's anybody have some hint's about growing this odd plant?

24. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It will go dormant for a couple of months of the year, more so than my seasonal gingers. I found mine (different species) out the back of a nursery returning from dormancy. My gingers will keep foliage until the very last month of winter then return within a few weeks, these tend to remain invisible a little longer. They do pretty well in sun and shade, mine gets filtered sun through most of the day. Good drainage and average watering, they'll rot if too wet. Mine hasn't flowered yet but I'm holding out, some of the flowers get huge. They take a few years in the ground before reaching flowering age. Apparently the flower comes after the plant.

25. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Glad you worked out what it was finally:)