Spring Frost

Discussion in 'Maples' started by MapleMadness, Feb 9, 2009.

1. MapleMadness

MapleMadness Active Member

I know this time of year I get nervous about a spring frost coming out of nowhere. Well, I decided this year I'd be prepared and I'm hoping to help others be prepared.

I added a video clip to my blog with some tips on what you can do to help against a spring frost. I'd also like to hear what others might do in the case, cross my fingers and knock on wood not, there is a spring frost.

http://thegardenyears.blogspot.com/

2. paxi

paxi Active Member

I appreciate the time that you are taking with these videos. The resolution on them is quite nice. What kind of camera is that?

I am using the frost protek bags that I have written about before. They are frankly a pain. Trying to get up early before work in (by definition) frigid weather, and then get them down in time to prevent over heating is challenging. They are also wet when you take them off so I have them hanging all over the garage waiting to dry. So truth be told... I am reserving them for the worst of potential frost situaltions. Anything less involves a lot of crossing the fingers. Had temps 60-70 last few day but thankfully no bud break yet.

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Wonder how many JM people take special precautions for spring frosts? The frost that whacked everyone in 07 passed us by here in Philly. Besides that one has it been common to lose plants from spring frost?

I've never taken any precautions and never noticed any frost damage. Does it have to do with particular locations?

4. MapleMadness

MapleMadness Active Member

Thanks Paxi, I appreciate the feedback. Make sure to pass it along to every human being you know, lol. I have a canon XH-A1S camera and a decade plus of production experience.

Poetry, I think the further south you get the more dangerous it becomes due to the quick heat increases. Two years ago it was nearly 85 here for a week and that forced the maples to completely leaf out. If it would have been more mild, mid to lower 70s, I don't think the maples would have been that far from dormancy.

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Thanks MM,

That does make sense. Today was a record high in Philly 67F. If we had 80 degree weeks in February I'd be concerned.

I recall that in 07 the killing frost got folks in the north as well. On the garden forums site folks from IL and OH had some painful losses.

6. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I recall that in 07 the killing frost got folks in the north as well. On the garden forums site folks from IL and OH had some painful losses.

In 07 there was absolutely nothing a person could do except hope things resprouted. The maples were not just breaking buds, they were fully leafed out. The farther south, the more leafed out they were. Let's just hope that won't happen again in our lifetimes. The only interesting thing about it was that in 08 it was all just a nasty memory. I think most people never dreamed their maples (and other trees/shrubs) would come back the way they did.
    Kay D.