Need lemon help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by IzabellaO, Feb 2, 2009.

1. IzabellaO

IzabellaO Member

I live in Arizona so citrus is usually very happy here. I potted a dwarf lemon so we could bring it around with us when we move. I can never really get great advice on how to care for it regularly. It is about 3 years old. Last spring I finally saw about 4 flowers on it and 2 of them turned to small fruit in which eventually feel off before growing any larger. The tree now has a lot of the leaves turning yellow it starts with a pattern of yellow and then most of the leaf turns. The tree isn't totally covered in yellow leafs but it defiantly looks sad. Any suggestions would be great. I use a citrus fertilizer ever 2 months from Memorial Day to Labor Day. When should I repot it? I would love to see it thrive and have an abundance of lemons. What’s the secret to happy citrus??

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

The secret to happy citrus is proper light, good heat at the roots, a proper watering technique, good humidity and fertilizing with the right fertilizer. Can you please describe your fertilizer (it is advised to use fertilizer at least once a month, or twice if you can) and what is in it, and can you describe the leaf discolouration more. Is it the vein that is yellow? The tip? A pic would really be better.

Citrus are heavy feeders, and will not always perform well if not fed properly. Once every two months isn't really enough.

3. IzabellaO

IzabellaO Member

Thank you so much for replying. I have included some photo's (I hope)! We were out this morning watering and fertilizing so I have the info on the fertilizer. Citrus organic fertilizer:
    6-2-6
    Nitrogen 6%
    Phosphate 2%
    Potash 6%
    Iron .52%
    I applied about 12 oz. cup and a half and watered for a while.
    I was told not to fertilize from oct- feb so I held off the past few months. Like I said before it seems every nursery I turn to seems to have different opinions and only be product concerned.
    The leaves that are turning yellow are now falling off, that is not good. My 3 year old brushing up against it and it knocked off a half dozen of leaves, boo hoo! What do you think?

Attached Files:

4. IzabellaO

IzabellaO Member

Some more shots.

Attached Files:

5. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

I'm afraid I'm not an expert in deficiencies, it might be iron deficiency???? (someone will chime in with the answer I am sure)

For now, just make sure your don't overwater it. Do you ever give it a dose of trace elements - iron? Epsom salts?

6. IzabellaO

IzabellaO Member

Thanks- I sure hope someone does give some treatment advise. I have not used iron or Epson salt. The fertilizer does have some iron in it. I would be fearful to cause worse harm by overdoing it. If there is anyone out there that has an opinion I would greatly appreciate it.

7. Futura

Futura Member

While I do not yet have the skills to diagnose your problem I think those who do will want to know about your growing medium.

I know photo's can lie but it sure looks like a pool of water is sitting on dark dark soil. On my fast draining medium as fast as i pour water in it flows right through and can't pool if its life depended on it.

What is your growing medium?
    How long has it been in this medium?
    Have you checked the condition of your roots?

I bet you get some good information soon that will help out. Good luck

8. IzabellaO

IzabellaO Member

I'm hoping someone could give me some insight on the issue with my tree! I feel I need to take some action with it. I guess I am going to go to home depot and buy some citrus mix soil and repot it, I just really hope it is the right time and thing to do. I will layer a couple of inches of rock in the bottom of the pot as we did when we first potted the plant. Please anyone???

9. IzabellaO

IzabellaO Member

The soil that was used is what ever the nursery sold my hubby when he first bought the tree. It has been in the pot for about 3 years. No I have not checked the roots, how do you check roots??

10. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Do not put anything at the bottom of the pot - it does not help drainage. In fact, it can harm the tree further. Make sure you use a free draining mix with a low peat content. Water only when the soil has dried somewhat. I do not know what is causing the problem. What you must not do is take premature action through the want to do something. Just wait until an expert here diagnoses the problem with the correct solution.

Usually, check roots by lifting the plant from the pot. Just make sure you don't make too much of a mess :)

11. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

So that a complete response can be given in a single posting, please tell us what has been this tree's past nutritional program? How often do you fertilize, and with what fertilizer formulation? Does the formulation that you are using contain trace minerals? - Millet (1,443-)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009