Will dry lemon seeds still grow?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by PamelaDee, Feb 3, 2009.

1. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

My Mother-in-law gave me some lemon seeds she's been saving for me. I started reading up on them and read that you are not suppose to let them dry out. So the question is, will they still grow if the seeds have been dried out? What sort of steps would I have to take. Thank to anyone for any help!

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

How long were they dry? I had some key lime seeds - 26 - which had been dry for a week. Soaked them overnight, clipped the end of the seed coat off and they all germinated in 2 days in a heated propagator. I think I was lucky though. Dry seeds have a smaller chance of germinating the longer they are dry. Soak them for a few hours, clip the ends of the seed coats, plant, and keep warm. And cross your fingers :)

3. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

That is awesome to hear! I think she's had them for about a week. Everytime I buy a lemon there are no seeds so I was so excited to get them. Here's hoping they grow!

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Plant away, you have nothing to lose... I have planted citrus seeds 6mo. after removing from the fruit...hit and miss...

5. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

Just to make sure I don't wreck my seeds, by clipping the end, you mean cut the pointed tip off?

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

You can do one of three things:
    1. Plant the seed just as it is. (Should germinate in 21-30 days @ 86F)
    2. Peal off the outer coat ( called the testa) then plant. (Germinate in 4-7 days)
    3. Cut off ONLY the extreme end of the tip (Germinate in 4 to 15 days)

Normally citrus seed should be cleaned and planted directly from the fruit for best results. If immediately planting is not an option, the seed should be kept in a plastic bag in the refrigerator @ 40F. Citrus seed not protected can last up to two weeks, but the germination rate drops. Bottom heat will greatly help the seed to germinate.
    Millet

7. PamelaDee

PamelaDee Active Member

That was awesome help! Thanks so much!

8. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Let us know how it goes. Citrus usually germinate really well in my experience. Now, trying to get a decent rose from a rose seed.....thats a challenge!