anyone know how should bromeliad pups be separated?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by @flowers@, Jan 22, 2009.

1. @flowers@

@flowers@ Member

small bromeliads like the green ones and also the larger types like the blanchetiana and big red, also the full shade kinds like guzmania....

can anyone explain how and when they should be separated from the mother plant?

i see the pups are small just peaking out of the soil and i tried to clear the way so i could see better i was looking for roots but before i could get in deep i broke the pup in half, so i left it alone... will it die??

when the pups are small should they be left alone until bigger but how much bigger because there are others that are about 4-6 " big can these be separated? or should it be left alone until much bigger???

i read somewhere in the internet that it doesnt matter the size of the pups and if or not it has roots, that they can be separated and eventually they will grow roots... is this true does anyone have experience with this??

please provide any and as much info as possible.. if they dont have roots should hormodine be applied after separated??

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. alcantarea

alcantarea Member

Hi @flowers@, Your pups are far too young to remove at present, leave them till they are approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the parent plant and then use a knife to separate the base of pup from parent,
    To be safe only take the pups off parent plants in the beginning of the growing season ie early summer, when the night temperatures are above 10 to 15oC (50oF or higher) . When separating pups try to get part of the woody base of the pup with the foliage as this will develop roots, with out the woody base the leaves will usually rot.

Your early attempt at removing a pup will most likely die, as the pups need to have their own foliage first in order to produce roots.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I have found also if you remove the botttom couple of leaves on the pup it will expose some of the stem and roots will develop better as they don't need to make their way through or past the leaves.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I never cut the pups from the parent plant, I always twist the pups off. After removing the pups lay them on a counter top for a week (do not put into water), then plant them in well draining medium. By letting them dry before planting, you will prevent the pubs from rotting. As Chungii wrote, remove some of the bottom leaves, to leave the bottom 1/4 inch of the stem bear. - Millet 1451 Remaining