Identification: Mysterious Fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by infosponge99, Jan 24, 2009.

1. infosponge99

infosponge99 Member

A couple areas of fungus appeared overnight on the flagstone walk adjacent to a North-facing hillside covered with redwood and oak tree droppings. There is an apparently growing area of white, lacy growth, very thin but completely covering the stone on one side. Some if it is growing on the redwood droppings.

We have had several days of light drizzle with temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Is this something that could be troublesome and needs to be controlled. It is just 5-6 feet from the house. The picture is looking down at the edge of the flagstone walk.

Thank you for your feedback,

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Looks like some kind of mycelium action to me. Fear not! The knowledgeable and friendly fungus mavens will soon give you detail and information unequalled anywhere. (Paging C. Wick!)

Welcome to the Forum, infosponge!

3. infosponge99

infosponge99 Member

Thanks for the response. I'm glad it isn't a threat of any kind.

4. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hi Infosponge.

I agree that it looks like fungus mycelium, and that it's not harmful. It would be useless to try and fight with it.

It is unlikely that we here will be able to identify it though, unless it forms a mushroom or something. It is nearly impossible to identify a fungus from its mycelium.

It will likely go underground when things dry out a little.

Best regards.

5. infosponge99

infosponge99 Member

Thank you for your input. It as all but disappeared already. I had just never seen anything like it and last year I had some expensive repairs due to 'blooming fungus'.

Best regards,

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello there,
    It's a slime mould, a myxomycete, in its motile plasmodial form.
    These are very interesting organisms, and are harmless to you or your house.
    Under the right conditions it may produce fruiting bodies, which are really amazingly beautiful in some species.
    cheers,
    frog

7. infosponge99

infosponge99 Member

Thanks Frog,

It left without fruiting. I seems the conditions were right for for just a day and a half.

Regards,

Bob

8. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

They don't usually last too long at the best of times. Frog is right, though. They are gorgeous organisms when they fruit.

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I wonder if you've had a lot of moisture of late? I know that it's been incredibly dry here and I've seen no slime moulds lately. Always fascinating to see the different varieties that pop up.

10. infosponge99

infosponge99 Member

Yes, we'd had 4-5 days of drizzle with temps hanging in the 40s and 50s (F). No sunshine to speak of and this is the northeast corner under trees. Probably perfect.

11. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

MOST definately! The last slime mould I had the pleasure of witnessing was in the very late fall........it traveled several feet and expanded even more feet outward in width! Fascinating stuff to be sure.