Identification: Can you Identify these plants?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by shaggrock, Jan 26, 2009.

1. shaggrock

shaggrock Member

The white one with green edges has been out in full hawaiian sun for a week and is really starting to die. the grasslike plant is also browning but not to the same level. If I know their names I can hopefully save them.

Attached Files:

2. optimist

optimist Member

#1 looks like Dieffenbachia
    #2 might be the Areca palm or Chrysalidocarpus lutescens

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The first one is definitely a Deiffenbachia; can't speak to the second one. Dieffs in their natural habitat (here in Ecuador) grow in at least partial if not full shade - if yours has been in full tropical sun, it's going to lose the leaves that got burnt. Keep it in the shade and water it well, and it will recover.

Lovely variegation on yours - normally Dieffs have more green to them. The abundance of white tissue on the leaves of your plant makes it more susceptible to sunburn than most other Dieffenbachia cultivars. You can cut off the crispy-fried leaves if you wish; it won't hurt the plant - only be careful of the sap, which can be a contact irritant for some people.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree with dieffenbachia. there are many varieties and i'm not too familiar with the different types to give anything more than a general genus id...

the other one is more likely chamaedorea and specifically the 'elegans' species. aka parlor palm. it's more common as a houseplant...although, being in hawaii, it may just be the dypsis (previously chrysalidocarpus) aka areca palm.

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

#2 does looks like an Areca palm with it's thick stems. It's a great palm, looks good and is easy to care for.

6. shaggrock

shaggrock Member

Well I thank you both for your replies, I have since moved my dieffenbachia out of the direct light. Attached is 2 more plants that I have on my lanai but they currently do not get direct sun all day. They seem to be doing better. Can you ID them?

Attached Files:

7. Bluewing

#1 Sansevieria trifasciata
    #2 Calathea roseopicta I believe.

8. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I think the first plant in the first picture may be D.picta 'Camilla', not sure, but someone else is bound to correct me if I'm wrong!

They have these in the U.K. I nearly bought one the other day but I like the variety you have better than the more green D.amoena (at least I assume thats the other type they had) but they didn't have any little ones in that variety.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  9. Bluewing

Sansevieria trifasciata will send out white flowers (if it's happy) on long stems and they have a fantastic scent!

10. shaggrock

shaggrock Member

Wow I am really impressed with the replies and so quick! Both of my questions were answered within hours! Thank you so much to everyone who helped me.

11. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Yup! That's right! Sanseveria can bear spikes of subtle flowers. You can propagate them easily through division or leaf cuttings. Be careful to not to overwater. My sanseveria before turns mushy and died due to overwatering.

12. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

I think your palm in there is Howeia fosteriana