squirrels eating orchid leaves

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Libby, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Libby

Libby Member

My sister lives in Orlando, Fl. she hangs her orchids outside for most of the year, but squirrels are eating/chewing off the leaves and flower spikes. Any suggestions for a squirrel proof inclosure are welcom.
    Thanks

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe a spray that tastes nasty but does no damage.

Liz

3. Libby

Libby Member

Thanks for the spray idea. Alot easier than building a wire enclosure.
    Libby

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Libby keep us posted with your progress. Squirrels are cagey adversaries.

Around here the only documented effective solutions are lead poisoning and/or sturdy enclosures.

6. Libby

Libby Member

I'm anxious to see if the hot spray will do the trick. I agree they do get into everything. I have a bungy cord with a bell suppended from a high tree branch to hang corn cobs on. It's fun watching them jump up grab on to the corn and go up and down to get their kernal of corn.

7. Liz

One of the tricks used here to discourage native possums is to give them a hand out. This probably works because they are very territorial so once their Stomachs are full they will leave other fruit and roses etc alone in their domain. Are squirrels territorial???

Liz

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  8. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

9. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Toss a handfull of blanched non salted peanuts around. They are about $2.50 a pound.
    I think you may find that the critters are just hungry. ( win /win)

Bob

10. Poetry to Burn

Bob,

Maybe you have Disney-fied squirrels. Philly squirrels will eat all your peanuts and then go and raid your trash or garden. Win-win by feeding is not demonstrated in my experience.

I believe feeding squirrels is a mistaken strategy if your goal is to minimize their activity in your garden. Feeding them will increase their fecundity. A larger population leads to more competition for food. With competition food becomes more scarce and they will eat pretty much anything to survive.

11. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

but wouldn't that attract more squrrils to that area, fatten the squrils,make more babby squrils? (better off repeling the squrills).

12. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

In the U.K.the grey squirrel is a pest species..... the other name is Tree rat, they are vermin and do no end of damage, both in the garden and in forestry plantations. Several people we know in our area, now, do what we have been doing for several years, we trap them in a mink trap, baited with peanuts.( Please do not ask what we do next.)it is simple to use and very effective in keeping the numbers down.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA&sa=N

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  13. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

There was no mention of species so I just gave a educated environmental response.
    I am sure if you can eliminate the exact types of species the planet will be better off and thank you for it.
    I don't know whether this is of any consequence but actualy the same animals you hate are probably responsible for the propagation of most of the seed bearing trees where they are found.

??? glass half empty or half full?

Bob

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. Liz

Yes well ours are protected, the possums ie. People do have them removed out of their rooves but are usually let go in near by area and the roof entrance blocked. We can also leave a night light on over the plants they like eg roses, and that seems to help. I have several low watage ones that I used to discourage them from the trees above the dog kennels otherwise some times they can really upset them even tho usually they tolerate the antics. These creatures are nocturnal and from my memory of the few squirrels I saw in Hyde park doing the bin over they are very into day time raiding. Boy are they quick.

Liz

15. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

One of our local PBS stations recently ran a show on the subject of the preparation of wild-caught game. Included in this show was the demonstration of a recipe for Squirrel Pot Pie. I kid you not.

16. Poetry to Burn

17. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Bob, I was refering to the alien to Britain.The grey squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/190.shtml

We also have the endangered Red squirrel, Sciurus vulgaris. A beautiful rare animal, being made more rare by the imported grey squirrel. Sadly it is now restricted to small isolated pockets in the U.K.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/Redsquirrel

18. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

I was hoping you would say that.
    I don't have an answer for the rapid spread of the Grays across North America as well.
    In Britain's case I suspect it was a lack of natural predators for the species much like the introduction of the Australian Brown snakes to the island of Guam. They have made it to within 200 km of me and I am dreading the first sighting here.( no natural predators again)

Bob

19. Lee Larkin

Lee Larkin Member

If the orchids are hanging from a metal shepherds hook or a small free standing post, you can seach garage sales for an old metal slinky. Slide the slinky over the post and attach it at the top so it hangs free and can spring up and down when pulled. The squirrels will not climb it to get at the bird feeders. Perhaps it will mean a come-back for metal slinky manufacturers...I have also heard that a little oil on metal posts can also help somewhat but requires persistance to keep them slippery.

20. Liz

much like the introduction of the Australian Brown snakes to the island of Guam.???

I wonder why they thought an introduction was a good idea.

I must admit I have seen few snakes in all my years. Have lived in semi bush most of my life. I think many of our snakes respond to movement and tend to disappear when they feel movement.. however this lot seem to be becoming urban dwellers.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/1999/archives/25?p=2000

http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/factsheets/factsheet.php/Snakes.htm

Liz

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  21. Libby

Libby Member

Great idea. Will have to start searching for slinkies.
    Thanks

22. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Liz: to the best of my knowledge they are believed to be "hitchhikers" in cargo shipped to the islands by cargo planes.

Many species of animals get moved around this way now.

A few weeks ago an east coast sea bird ended up in Alberta.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009