Need help in Cali

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bigjonski, Jan 13, 2009.

1. bigjonski

bigjonski Member

My Wife and I purchased this small shrub/tree,2 years ago,and we lost the info describing the type/name of this specimen.It just started getting a red berry or two on it.I say they are edible,and my wife say's there not. can anyone tell me the name so I can get more info on it.

Thanks a million,
    Jon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

do you happen to have a pic of the flower??

is it supposed to be a tree that you can keep pruned back to grow as a bush or is it a (large) bush??

3. bigjonski

bigjonski Member

There are no flowers.From what I remember,it can grow in to a tree(up to 15').I took a closer look,and see no buds or anything.We had just noticed the berries yesterday.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Possibly a myrtle of some sort?

5. bigjonski

bigjonski Member

The name Newport,or Newport Box,seams to stick in my head .I did a search, with no results.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you can try sending the pics to your local extension office - they may be able to id it; especially if it's a local plant.

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

It looks very much like a Strawberry Guava plant. You can check on the Web, as there should be a lot of pictures to compare, both the fruit and leaf. However, the particular fruit you are showing is a deformed fruit. - Millet

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Syzygium maybe an australe hybrid or 'Lillypilly'. Yes they are edible but not the sweetest berries you'll find

9. bigjonski

bigjonski Member

Here are two more pics,the other two were verticals,turned sideways,I've had a guava tree,and this is not.This bush/shrub is about 2 1/2 feet tall the two berries,are about the size of a marble,and resemble a cranberry,but does not look like an American cranberry tree(like the photos I've researched).
    Jon

Attached Files:

10. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Syzygium australe either 'Bush Christmas' or 'Tiny Trev' is my best guess, too many crosses being released to be exact. It is definitely a Syzygium to me.

11. bigjonski

bigjonski Member

I agree,I've Googled Syzygium,and seen simular types of plants.Now to figure out what type of Syzyguim. thanks for your help.....I'll post cross section pic of the berry later.

Jon

12. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

They must be grown from cutting to keep the same plant, they are notorious for reverting to their original forms from seed. You will end up with a couple of different species growing them by seed without fail. Cuttings take several months to develop decent roots so patience is necessary.

13. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

It looks like a Syzygium to me too. The fruit are edible -my mother used to make jam from them.

14. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I used them once to cook, but got frustrated with the de-seeding process:}
    If you can get a hold of Syzygium reinwardtiana 'Beach Cherry' they are the nicest and sweetest 'Lillpilly' berry I've tried (probably have to look for Eugenia instead of Syzygium still though). I have one out the back and class it more a fruit tree like the Guava rather than a shrub like most Syzygium.

15. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

I must admit I prefer the older tree varieties to the newer shrubs/small trees. They are quite beautiful when full of fruit. Eugenia was so much easier to say :)

16. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If Beach Cherry and Lillypilly are common names in these instances then they should not be presented in single quotes, a practice used to indicate cultivar names.

17. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

But that means I have to press two buttons at a time :}
    Thanks for the correction.

18. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

"Lillypilly" is a generalisation of Syzygium, (which now supposedly includes Eugenia and Waterhousia).
    I guess "Beach Cherry" would be a common name refering to a particular species (Syzygium reinwardtiana) only.
    Would that be the correct way to quote common names then or should I not even bother?

19. bigjonski

bigjonski Member

maybe an Acmena Smithii;Green Screen or Acmena Smithii;Var Minor , both produce berries,and leaf pattern is similar

found on http://www.warners.com.au/?p=PG&cri=9&Lillypillies=

the '"screen green" matches with its pointed leaves,rather than the "Var Minor's" rounded tips...

20. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Acmena that was the other I forgot. How glossy are the leaves on yours? In the photo they appear pretty shiny, if so it's less likely to be an Acmena variety and more a Syzygium (which they both are supposed to be now anyway)
    That site didn't have the greatest pictures and it also incorrectly classes 'Bush Christmas' and 'Elegance' as the same plant. By noticing my correct single quoting there (thanks Ron:}) they are actually two quiet different cultivars.
    This was the best link I could find as to what I believe it is:
    S. australe 'Bush Christmas'
    http://www.buyplantsonline.com.au/category/19/page/1/item/282