Indoor mango plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lufthoved, Jan 5, 2009.

1. lufthoved

lufthoved Member

Hi experts,

I have a mango tree planted from seed about a year ago. It reached about 40 cm and is actually winter dormant. Unfortunately a few of my indoor plants have been attacked by red spider mite. The mango tree was also attacked. Ive been able to contain the attack away using regular washings.

Im considering to cut of all the leaves, partly to get rid of the spider mites, but also to get a more harmonic plant when it grows back.

You experts guys in here, think the plant will survive if I cut of all the leaves.

Thanks for your help.
    Happy newyear
    /lufthoved

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Don't cut all the leaves! It will set the tree back considerably, and may kill it. The tree doesn't look like it's hurting too badly from the mites, at least not from the photo you've posted.

You can get rid of the mites by using an insecticidal soap like Safers, or you can make your own with a few drops of neutral liquid dish soap in a sprayer full of water. Repeat the treatment every week for all of your affected plants until the mites are completely gone. If your house is particularly prone to spider mite infestation, you should look into investing in a humidifier as a preventative measure - mites don't like humidity.

3. thewad88

thewad88 Active Member

thats a very nice tree you have there. i'm looking into growing a mango from seed myself!

speaking form experience, i had a spider mite problem this winter, and have been able to control it with the use of a humidifier and regular spraying of just water. it is true that the spider mites do not like humidity. where they go when the environment isn't what they like is still a mystery to me, but there are gone from my plants.

4. lufthoved

lufthoved Member

Hi again, thx for your answers.

You are correct its not badly attacked. Just wanted to "nip it in the bud" before it got out of hand.

I'll try a washing with insectsoap for a while :-)

Anyone know how long it takes spider mite egg to hatch?

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

10-14 days.

6. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Life Cycles and Habits
    Spider mite species seem to be warm weather or cool weather active pests. The twospotted, European red, honeylocust, and oak spider mites do best in dry, hot summer weather. The spruce and southern red spider mites do best in cool spring and fall weather.

All spider mites go through the same stages of development. Adult females usually lay eggs on their host plants. The eggs hatch in days to weeks into the first stage, called a larva. Larvae are round bodied and have only three pairs of legs. The larvae feed for a few days, seek a sheltered spot to rest and then molt into the first nymphal stage. The first nymph now has four pairs of legs. The first nymphs feed a few days, rest and molt into the second nymph. The second nymphs feed, rest and molt into the adult stage. The males are usually the size of the second nymph and have pointed abdomens. The females have rounded abdomens and are the largest mites present.

Most spider mites spend the winter in the egg stage but the twospotted spider mite overwinters as adult females resting in protected places

I got this info from http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2012.html
    Blake09

7. refashion

refashion Member

I have a mango plant that I rescued from my compost before the winter came. 2 years later the plant is not doing well. I thoroughly soaked it before going on vacation for 9 days. When I came home I watered it thoroughly again, but many of the leaves dried up. How can I help it out? Should I put it near the fireplace for more heat(but there is no window) The temp. of the house is 20c. Our house is also quite dry, should I be spraying water on it? Or just be patient and wait for summer?( every winter it has a hard time, this one espescially) Should I be feeding it? and what type of fertilliser?

8. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

You could try misting it a few times a week. I dont know what kind of fertilizer you should give it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Were the leaves already dried up when you got back from vacation or did they dry up as a result of the second watering?

10. refashion

refashion Member

The leaves were not dried up when I came home. I did have a spider mite issue when I brought it in for the winter, but had gotten rid of them. I decided to change it location near my Hybicuses that are doing wonderfully, I just found a crack at the edge of the window were it was and maybe it was too cool for it(will have to get some caulking) Also could the Oxalis be compeeting with it(the Oxalis is very happy in the same pot!)

11. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Might well be that draft then, see if it improves when you sort it out.