Relocating to Alaska

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by staygreen, Jan 2, 2009.

1. staygreen

staygreen Member

My best friend is moving from Tacoma,Wa to Fairbanks Alaska. She wants take as much of here garden as possible. What is the best way to transport them and should she use soil or something sawdust. Thank you.

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

First question is why transport healthy living plants form their natural environment, only to perish in such an extreme climatic zone? I feel for your friend, as I would want to do the very same, by moving my dear plants with me. I have transported plants (using a five ton truck at times) whenever I move, but this is within mere kilometres and the climatic zones are not an issue, just exposure to the sun...
    I am certain that the sub arctic climatic zone, will not allow for the winter hardiness required of most shrubs and trees found in the Washington Peuget Sound region. There are many perennials that would likely survive, try searching for the book "Perennial Favourites" by Lois Hole... her expertise on sub arctic Edmontonian plants and her nursery background is indispensable.
    That been said, I would transport plants in the spring, and keep their roots damp during the journey... depending of course, on what is to be transported? I have had plants root bare for weeks, and they still survived...

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

I don't think too much of the outdoor stuff is going to survive no matter what she does. Houseplants wrapped in bubble wrap have a good chance unless she's planning the move in the dead of winter.
    Carl

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Likelihood of success in new climate depends on hardiness of each particular kind of plant. If she happens to be growing some things that are hardy there, then it could certainly be worth taking those. 2001 edition of Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK (Sunset Publishing, Menlo Park) puts Fairbanks in Sunset Climate Zone A1 ("Alaska's Coldest Climate"), says it features "occasional dips to -60F (-51C)". However, Sunset's depicton also offers that

"Many birches ... reach nearly unparalleled proportions in Fairbanks, as do hardy perennials and a long list of annuals"

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Why not change the whole gardening out look to suit the new home. Maybe this might be cold climate xeriscaping. Don't know how wet it can be there but if it is stony and winter dry probably local plants would be better. Found the site below that might be of interest.

http://www.ptialaska.net/~pbabcock/patch/

Liz

6. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

You will also have to deal with the day/night differences in the locations. Many plants will not adapt to changes in seasons plus day/light plus temperatures.
    Best to start over when you get there. The locals will help.

Bob

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plants do not adapt anyway. They come with predetermined parameters. If something is suited to far northern conditions before being taken there it will grow fine. If not, it won't.

In nursery practice where quantities of plants are shipped from southern production facilities to northern retail outlets the main thing noticed is that their growth is more advanced due to spring coming sometimes very much earlier in the year. This may sometimes require that temporary protection from frost be provided for those kinds that produce frost-sensitive spring growths.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Check whether any plant health and/or soil-carried disease transport regulations might apply. If going overland via Canada, any plants and soil are very likely to be confiscated at the border.

9. boizeau

boizeau Member

I lived in Fairbanks in 1973. A few things really grow well there, and she ought to contact the University of Alaska Fairbanks about the list. I do know that cool weather vegetables like it there, as well as all the Cole crops. I think of the fruit plants, some raspberries and black currants are hardy enough as well as a few Crab Apples, but even with those you need to give them a lot of tlc.
    If you like Cabbage, plant O-S cross, that is the one that goes over 70 lbs.
    Moose grow well too, but you need a license to pick them.