What is this disease?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by HK77, Dec 23, 2008.

1. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi,

During this month, I've a big problem with my adenium plant for always having black spots and always seeing new leaves dying. At first, I thought the problem is with my watering but even if I'm really careful with my watering, the problems still persist. Today I take a closer look at my plant and it's surrounding and I think I've found out the problem. The bamboo plant overlying behind my adenium plant has so many black spores/spots underneath it's green leaves and these infected leaves always falling into my adenium flower pot. So, please help me identify which disease this plant have and how to get rid of it.

That area is usually sunny and moist. You can see the photo in which leaves of the plant below this bamboo tree, also have some blackish, dirty appearance and wants to know whether these two problems are related.

Thanks,
    HK77

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wooly aphids of some sort. Sap-sucking insects.

3. HK77

HK77 Active Member

So both plants in the above pictures have the same problem, Wooly Aphids? If so, what should I do? How to get rid of them and with which insecticide? Today, I also notice sticky, juice like fluids on the leaves of my adenium plant. Now, I've moved my adenium plant to a more sunny place away from this bamboo plant.

But I can still find these blacks spores/spots under some leaves of my adenium plant. So, what should I do to my adenium plant? Lastly, could someone explain a bit deeper what conditions cause this disease and what should I do now and what should I do in the future for prevention?

Thanks,
    HK77

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It certainly looks like both plants have wooly aphids. Moving the Adenium was a good idea, since they probably originated on the bamboo and just moved on down.

The condition of having healthy plants that are attractive to aphids is what leads to your having aphids, so there's not a whole lot you can do by way of prevention. However, you can keep watch for ants on your plants and try to discourage that. About 60% of the time, if you have aphids it's because ants brought them (ants "farm" aphids for their honeydew, see below). You don't have to kill the ants, just keep them out of the plant pots - so don't leave pots too close to the wall, and try placing the pots over an open dish of water (like a moat). You can also look into predatory lady beetles as a form of aphid control; I'm not sure if you can just buy a box of beetles where you are, though.

The "sticky stuff" you're observing on your Adenium is aphid droppings, more commonly called "honeydew." If you get rid of the bugs, the honeydew will also go away. It may also have the side effect of reducing ant population in your yard, which is not an entirely bad thing. Ants move aphids around specifically to produce honeydew, which is a high-sugar food source for them. Like Red Bull for ants, if you will.

I generally cure aphids using insecticidal soaps; nothing too harsh is needed, just make sure they get totally coated. I have absolutely no clue what is available in Yunnan, but you can make your own using mild unscented liquid dish soap, water, and a touch of grain alcohol. When I lived in Canada, there was a product called Safer's Insecticidal Soap, but I have not seen it outside of North America. Regardless of what plant they're on, the cure is the same. Insecticidal soaps have the advantage of not causing any harm to your plants.

5. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi All,

I've read on some websites that Imidacloprid can be used for this disease. Is it true? Today, I've also seen imidacloprid in an insecticide shop. So, wondering I should use this chemical to get rid of my problem. If there's anyone who has experience with this chemical, please help. The guy at that insecticide shop also recommend me to use Methyl-Parathion but I think it will be too harsh for my plants, right?

So, please let me know what should I use and what will be the side effects?

Thanks,
    HK77

6. lorax

Stay away from Parathion! Nasty, nasty stuff. I'd go for a soap containing imidacloprid; it's probably the active ingredient that I keep forgetting in the good soaps.

7. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi Lorax,

You're also a big help. So, u mean I shoudl prepare my imidacloprid power with soapy water instead of just water??? Could you please go a bit more detailed as I'm very new to gardening. I now have a package of white powders (imidacloprid) and label says the power is to be prepared like 1 table spoon with a gallon of water. I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks,
    HK77

8. lorax

Follow the directions on the packet, then add about 10 drops of neutral liquid dish soap in. The soap clogs the breathing pores of the aphids, and the pesticide kills them.

9. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Hi HK77,

just wondering if you had read the label and knew how imidacloprid worked? I could just say quickly, it is a systemic insecticide, and in most products sold is usually recommended soil drenching for best results. Root uptake is most effective. Foliage spraying is optional but usually more messy and toxic. A table spoon into a gallon of water, mixed in a watering can with a shower head attachment, can easily be poured around the base of the plants. The label should say how long this chemical will last in the plant, and will likely control insects for up to a year.

Imidacloprid will control sucking and chewing insect feeding on treated plants, but.. will not kill on contact by spraying directly onto insects.

Please do protect yourself from any contact with this insecticide. Have a nice day, Jim

10. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for your useful information. The reason I don't know how to use is because the brand I bought is written everything in chinese and only the compound is mentioned in english. OK, Next time, I'll pour them into the root. That's a lot more easy.

By the way, I want to know whether imidacloprid can also be used for "Spider Mites". Today, I found a lot of red spider mites below the leaves of my roses. I plan to spray "Cypermetrin" but I'm afraid it's too harsh. Please help again, guys.

Thanks you All,
    HK77

11. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

HK77, I am not sure if Imidacloprid carries miticide properties. Although I have heard that it is effective against Mites.

By the looks of what Cypermethrin is, and that is used in my region for controlling beetles and large insects on food crops, I might guess and say it is not going to be very effective against Mites.

And besides you are much safer to find a product sold as a miticide. Proper use of pesticides is very important. Not only for controlling your pests, but for the safety of your plants, health, and environment.

Do Mites even effect Roses? It isn't something I have ever noticed. If you want my opinion I would soil drench around whatever plants seem to have insect problems with the Imidacloprid you purchased and see if it controls your pests. At least this product doesn't effect beneficial insects, pets, or cause much damaging effect on your ground environment. Good luck,, Jim.