Identification: I haven't a clue what this is!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by plantfan, Mar 4, 2004.

1. plantfan

plantfan Member

Hi all- I am hoping someone can shed some light on what type of plant this is that I have. I bought it at a yard sale a couple years ago for 25 cents, and when I purchased it, it was a dead stump with a tiny cluster of leaves. My cats then further demolished it to just a broken off stump in the pot. So about 1 year under an HID lamp and it began to really take off, and now I have taken a round of cuttings and it has established itself well. It is a high light plant, and enjoys a very rich soil mixture. Hopefully it's not a simple everyday houseplant, but I can't see how it is because i've spent countless hours researching it and have come up with nothing...anyhoo thanks to any responses in advance! -plantfan

Attached Files:

2. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

Plantfan mystery plant

Hi plantfan, I am thinking it looks very much like a 'kalanchoe'. Here are some sites to check:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Kalanchoe.html

http://www.plantfacts.com/Family/Crassulaceae/Kalanchoe.blossfeldiana.shtml

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets/pottedplants/kalanch.html

I have not looked into UBC site yet for info on this name. You will see by one of the sites there are many varieties of this plant.
    Hope it is the correct one for you !

cheers ......... Lavenderflowerpot

3. plantfan

plantfan Member

Thanks so much! I am almost sure it is one of those, and with the wild variation in appearance, it could even be a hybrid...I am very thankful to you!!:) I have looked for a long time and have'nt ever come across this plant family. Now i'm wondering about if it will bloom! Most of the examples did...anyhoo thanks -plantfan

4. I have a plant that looks very much like this, but it's HUGE - I've never known what it is, but I've used trial and error to care for it, and it's thriving. I have it in a south/west window, it really likes to dry out between waterings, and when I snip off some of the stems to root it roots very slow, it has tiny little delicate roots,like thread, and its leaves are thick and snap very easy - but my plant has never flowered. It's very healthy, and is growing like crazy, but I'm starting to wonder if my plant SHOULD be flowering. Is there another plant that looks like this one, but doesn't flower? I looked up the name kalanchoe, and aall the plants seem too flower - HELP! What is my plant if it'ss not a kalanchoe?

5. lavenderflowerpot

lavenderflowerpot Member

Good Morning
    When you say your plant is huge , ,do you mean tall , wide , and how tall etc.? Do you have a photo ?Were you rooting it in soil, or in water ?

If it is a Kalanchoe variety I have read that some wll need
    14-hour uninterrupted nights(darkness) for a month and a half before blooming.
    You may have seen in the websites I had posted,
    that there are some which can grow tall i.e. 12 feet!

At any rate in my opinion it sounds as if yours should be in the Crassula Family to which Kalanchoe belongs .

cheers,C.