Transition from blossom to lemon?...help??!!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Lynette Prosser, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Lynette Prosser

Lynette Prosser Member

On my 2 yr. lemon tree,after being moved to a larger pot and brought indoors for the winterit blossomed beautifully {30 -40]} it's about 3 ft.tall sits in the east window.After the blossoms dieing down and falling off..where EXACTLY do I watch for the lemon to grow..shouldn't there be a tiny bud starting, it's been2 months. They had not been fertilized consistantly.Since then we have done so with both citrus trees and all house plants and everything is so much GREENER. I have used a humidifier and spritz them all the time as we have wood heat. Help please...have spent LOTS of time on the net to no avail, just now found you guys.

Rookie with anything green

2. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

The lemon is the center part of the flower when the petals fall off, the long center bit, the back end of it swells up to form the fruit,
    It is normal for a tree to have lots of flowers and only a few to form fruit as otherwise the tree would be squashed by the fruit.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Here is a brief explanation, along with a picture, of fruit development.
    Here is another picture showing flowers and developing fruit of the pummelo.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If it has been 2 months since the blossoms on your lemon tree have fallen, and you still cannot see any fruit, then it does not look promising. - Millet

5. zero10

zero10 Member

Mine has flowered and began fruiting several times in the 3 weeks I have owned it. Typically it will take 2-5 days for the flower to go from a tiny white bubble to fully open, then within 2-3 days of the flower dying you should see a solid green stem from the middle of where the flower was. Within another 2-5 days it should have a noticeable bulge and look like a tiny little lemon. 2 months is too long, sounds like it is not going to fruit from those flowers.

6. Lynette Prosser

Lynette Prosser Member

Thank you for your help and replying so soon...what you guys have going here is awesome.The pictures and such complete explanations were exactly what I needed. A few more questions...How often can I expect the lemon and the orange tree to bloom? The orange tree has not yet bloomed, and I have had it for almost a year now...and how long do I have to wait now for the lemon tree to bloom? Thanks guys.....
    Rookie of the green