Orange tree help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Devin Kime, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Devin Kime

Devin Kime Member

Last year, I planted an orange tree from a seed that i got from a tangerine. That was during the winter. That summer, i put it outside in the sun at about 9 o'clock. I came back about 20 min. later to find that it had begun to wilt. I immediately took it in. The next day at about the same time (both days were about 75 degrees Fahrenheit at the time) i took it out ,but put it in the shade. I would greatly appreciate any input as to what could be wrong with it.

2. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

You need to get a tree used to the climate outdoors, slowly, just a bit at a time and in the shade at first and out of strong wind and strong light, any change in climate, do it slowly a gradual change.

3. Devin Kime

Devin Kime Member

The thing is, it was about the same tempurature indoors and outdoors at that time. There was no wind, and it was slightly overcast

4. Kale

Kale Member

To us it is the same to them it is not.Trust me Plants will sunburn or freeze and we will wonder how it happened.
    We are not a little plant.:) Although we may wish at time we were*LOL
    I could only advise to take it slowly as suggested by StarLoc.
    You may want to spend under 15dollars on a light meter (One with pH and watering included = same price)
    that will give you an idea as to the difference in lighting we see in comparison to the lighting plants do.
    It will also assist you in the watering needs which can drastically change when containers are placed outdoors!

Do a quick search on this forum using the SEARCH link above, next to NEW POSTS on (type "hardening off" young trees or Orange or Citrus) and just scroll and read. Jump in if you have a comment or question...I'm sure your comments or suggestion swill be welcomed..

Not sure what you will find unless you click around..!!

BTW was it an orange or a tangerine?

Kale:)

5. Devin Kime

Devin Kime Member

well, i'm not quite sure. i think it was a tangerine, but all i remember is that i ate an orange(or tangerine) and found a seed and planted it.

6. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Its the climate change. Human eyes are very complex and clever organs in that they adapt alarmingly fast, so that what is actually a low light level appears to be sufficiently bright. Outside, you are looking at about 40,000lux on a sunny day. The average well-lit office is about 400lux. Like I said, our eyes adapt to our surroundings.

So, what we see as the same, plants do not. Moving from indoors usually has a temp change, a drastic light change and a humidity change. That can be quite a bit to take all at once, so gradual steps are better.

As mentioned previously, start by putting it in shade for a little bit and increase the amount of time gradually. Always remember, even a cloudy, overcast day offers stacks more light than an indoor south facing window sill on a sunny day does.

7. Kale

Kale Member

I started a lemon tree that way,I can not bring it outside,it will not tolerate the difference so it stood on my shelf in the kitchen over the sink facing west.I just now had to transplant it out of the cottage cheese container and put it in the bathroom (west facing) I am watching it and it seems to be doing ok so far.I has gotten too tall for the kitchen window.When moving indoor plants around you will find they do have a preference.Some will actually stick their tongue at you and clearly state...put be back where I have been all my life or I will not grow! Actually "you are killing me here put me back"! And so you do.
    I have Double blooming Hibiscus tree (zone 10 Fla. I'm zone 5b MI) that will only bloom all winter and nearly die outside no matter where I put it.As soon as I put it back indoors by it's west window in the middle of my study it blooms! Unbelievable it is the boss until I can stick to where it is going and not give in to the falling leaves*LOL I'm guessing trying to grow fruit trees in the colder zones will be a challenge.
    Mine like yours is still a baby,I haven't had many challenges yet.Except I would not bring it outdoors even this coming season,may put it to a longer brighter sun lit location.

Yes extremely factual.Aesir22, "Always remember, even a cloudy, overcast day offers stacks more light than an indoor south facing window sill on a sunny day does.
    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message"

Thank YOU!

Kale:)