Cultivated balsams (Impatiens) in British Columbia and other regions of the world

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Wojciech, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Wojciech

Wojciech Active Member

I am collecting all possible data on the subject of cultivated balsams.
    At the moment I am wondering if I. balfourii, Kashmir balsam, is cultivated in British Columbia. It is cultivated in California, Oregon and Washington and even escaping from culture there.
    Wojciech

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry I missed your post earlier Wojciech. The plant is not grown at UBC Botanical Garden. I have not heard of it in BC, but there is a lot I don't hear of.

This reply will bump your thread back into the current queue once again. We'll see if anyone replies this time.

3. Wojciech

Wojciech Active Member

I am maybe impatient, but persistent!

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Impatiens x hawkeri (New Guinea Impatiens) and Impatiens wallerana are the two most common grown in this area of Australia (Mid east coast). The wallearana variety is what I'd call a nursery weed in that given perfect growing conditions of a nursery they will spread but within manageable quantities (quick spray of glyphosate stops them getting out of control).
    At a regular home garden though they tend to get knocked around through hot summers and act more like an annual dying off after 1 or 2 years then regrowing from seed. I have grown them in Brisbane and found they seemed to stay reasonably contained to their designated garden areas.
    I have seen the odd different variety (one that sticks to mind had a flower in the shape of a parrot's beak) but not in a mentionable quantity.

5. Wojciech

Wojciech Active Member

I am happy getting any answer.
    So I see situation in this part of Australia is rather typical for most of warmer regions. However I contacted one lady from more northern Australian location, who is able to grow even temperate species, like balfourii and glandulifera. Is hawkeri reseeding anywhere? I never seen such phenomenon in Poland, but I just recently read a paper from USA, where authors wrote on the subject. Is this odd variety I. niamniamensis? You can google "Mr. Impatiens" and there, on webpage of Derick Pitman, is big collection of photos of different balsam species.

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I. niamniamensis it was. The hawkeri variety doesn't seem to seed anywhere near as much as wallerana does.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

In Britain, Impatiens glandulifera is abundantly naturalised. It is by far the commonest of any Impatiens species, much commoner than native I. noli-tangere.

Impatiens walleriana is commonly grown as a house plant, but not hardy outdoors.

8. Wojciech

Wojciech Active Member

Ha! Something is moving around :-).
    Impatiens is my favorite genus - so variable and rich in species. In Madagascar Impatiens is most rich genus of all vascular plants, more than 250 species. Another ~250 species in China, ~200 in India, numerous species in SE Asia, about 120 in continental Africa. And there are several invasive species. I. glandulifera is "the best" - it invaded almost whole Europe, parts of Asia, North America and New Zealand.
    I. niamniamensis is African species with very strange flowers, in typical form green, yellow and red. It escaped from culture in New Zealand and Western Indies.