Hippophae r.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Anne Taylor, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I am trying to source some sea buckthorn to grow on southern Vancouver Island...... has anyone seen it available? I can purchase wholesale . I'm not even sure what varieties might be available.
    I'm looking for 20 or so plants. Any leads or info would be much appreciated.
    Anne Taylor

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Caution: I'd think this has high invasive potential on Vancouver Island, particularly on sandy soils. It can be aggressive enough here where it is native, and the climate is fairly similar.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

So far apparently not a problem in this region. No occurrences reported from Seattle at all. Recently frequent in garden centers here, perhaps presence in gardens will increase markedly as a result and then some will escape. Plant I attempted to establish on Camano Island (Island County, WA) appeared to do well at first but then developed a dieback problem.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HIRH80

4. Anne Taylor

Thanks folks, I would be very vigilant regarding escapees..... I was going to use this as a hedge along a road for 75 feet or so.
    It's likely deer resistant, but I'd be an idiot not to count in bird dispersal etc. Die back however would really make a hedge look rough, even with a mixed planting of material. I may have to reconsider. Thanks for the heads up.
    Anne

5. Ron B

Also spreads by suckering, and may have a sprawling branching habit.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Guess the problem with invasives, you never know if they will be until too late!

7. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Fernwood farmer's market in season; guy named Geoff Johnson sells male and female seaberry plants, I believe he has a few varieties to choose from.

8. greengarden bev

greengarden bev Active Member

You can also grow it from seed. Last summer my six starts grew large enough to plant out in September. I hope they survive the winter.

With seed you have better chances of winding up with a female plant, which is what you need if you want berries.

If what you want is a tough, thicket-forming, prickly barrier-windbreak, then the males will do fine.

I also tried buying some Seabuckthorn from a local grower. The divisions (suckers) were dug and not potted up to establish roots-- they were just given to me in a bag. Only half of them survived the transplant. So I would advise you to take care when buying field-grown stock. Make sure you're given potted plants with a healthy root system.

9. Ron B

Outlets here sell established plants in containers. Most or many in recent years may have been supplied by Northwoods nursery, in Oregon.

10. Anne Taylor

Thanks Ron,
    I'm happy to purchase US plants (once they've come across the border.) I suppose there maybe a willing order clerk at a good garden center who will watch out for availability lists originating from Northwoods. I'll keep my eye peeled.
    Anne