cymbidian question

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by samsam, Dec 11, 2008.

1. samsam

samsam Member

I have had my cymbidian inside since the end of October. Still no flower stems! Also, there are dark brown spots on some leaves. Any help is appreciated. Samsam

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You may not have had it long enough for another bloom cycle to come around. The brown spots could indicate a problem, such as a leaf spot infestation or sunburn. Often this type of orchid is not very suitable for ordinary indoor conditions. When there was an orchid company near me the cymbidium house was always very bright and breezy, fans running the whole time we were visiting - quite different from how it would be inside a human habitation.

Try searching "cymbidium care", "cymbidium culture" etc.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Cymbidiums like cool temperatures, gentle light, and, as Ron notes, excellent air circulation. Get the air moving around your plant, and be patient.

4. samsam

samsam Member

Thank you Ron and Togata57 - I bought this large pot of orchids last Christmas and it was blooming profusely. It now has good looking new growth, is getting cool temperatures and gentle light, air circulation may be the problem. Also, I spray it daily with tepid water and wondered if this might be a mistake. It did not have the spots when it was in the garden. Hopefully it will bloom in its own time. Samsam

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

The water misting is fine---as long as the air circ. is going on too. If the water just sits there it might well encourage the growth of mold or fungus---not good! I have begun using a fan on my plants downstairs in their winter quarters (a small cubbyhole under the basement stairs), and the results are beneficial.

6. samsam

samsam Member

I sprayed the plant after I received your message and when I checked a couple of hours later the moisture was gone. So I'll see what happens. I'll stop expecting blooms for Christmas. Cheers, Samsam

7. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Cymbidium greenhouses can intiate blooms off season from your growing conditions so you may yet see spikes. Different Cymbidiums will produce flowers anywhere from late fall to early spring depending on their parentage. In my sub-arctic conditions I would leave my Cymbidium out until the first frosts and then keep it cool and bright. My Cymbidium would start to lose older leaves before producing flowers. I had to get rid of my standard Cymbidium as it was just too large (and doubled every year), I now keep a Cym. Golden Elf 'Sundust' AM/AOS that is half the size and doesn't require a cooling period.

Shaun

Attached Files:

8. samsam

samsam Member

Arcticshaun - Thanks for the information. Your orchid is lovely. Mine appears to be healthy. There is lots of new growth but no flower spikes. However, I keep hoping to see them. Next fall I will leave the plant outside longer. Happy New Year, Samsam