Attn: Bamboo Collectors

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by BloomBamboo, Jul 26, 2008.

1. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Our soil here, if you can call it that, is really nothing more than decomposed sandstone. Plus whatever detritus has been deposited by birds and plants over the years. Any "soil" here, is what we make ourselves.
    And as for water, we are forced to have self imposed limits. No municipal water supply, just what we are able to store from rainfall. Currently, we are up to 8,000 gallons of storage capacity.

2. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

Cocobolo,

Yes, certain species do tend to discolor and deteriorate more at the colder seasons. From my experience at least. I also find that the more established plants will hold onto their leaves longer than compared to that of a younger plant.

As for the mite problem. All I can tell you is that they are EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of with the soap, oil, water method. You really have to be conscientious and keep re-applying. Even apply to the plants that don't have signs yet. They are most likely infected as well. The mites infect other healthy bamboo very quickly.

Best of luck!

3. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Thanks BB:
    I will just have to be persistent then.
    One thing I have noticed is that the white webs these mites make is really tough.
    For my next trick it will be sandpaper!

4. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

As a Vancouver Island resident trying to grow a few bamboo varieties (just for my pleasure) I too have encountered growing conditions that are quite varied, and watched my results and I'm certainly learning. I have some great yellow and black bamboo both performing well. The stand of yellow has snuck over it's barrier a few times and this allows me to slice off and remove new rootings. So far so good... I do it when it looks sturdy enough (and when I get to it).... but is there a preferred time for this process? What do you folks use for a fertilizer? I've used near pure compost for planting with blood and bone meal as a warm weather boost. I think the coolest thing I've tried was to defoliate the mature black bamboo stems up to about 3 feet and plant corydalis (white flowered variety) underneath. Great combination!
    I'm in Metchosin.... any sources for good varieties down this way?
    Thanks Folks
    Anne Taylor

5. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Hi Anne:
    There is a chap up in Sidney, Pacific Flowers Nursery who has lots of bamboos. Not as many as the Bamboo Ranch on Saltspring, but quite a few. Fred I think his name is, good guy. He has bonsai as well. You can find him on the internet with a listing of the bamboos he has.