Brugmansia Cuttings

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by martyz8, Dec 8, 2008.

1. martyz8

martyz8 Member

I found an internet store that sells brug cuttings at a reasonable price. If I start these cuttings with heat and grow on until warm weather, will they bloom the first year? Any advice about cuttings would be appreciated, as I want brugs so badly, but am a little afraid of my success with cuttings. I am in the Pac NW, Z8.

2. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi martyz8
    I have rooted many brugmansia cutting in water in a glass. They take a month or so but root nicely and transplant well when well rooted. Mine did not bloom the first year but then I did not use bottom heat. I have found that if I fertilize them much they grow well indoors but get aphids that I just cannot for the life of me get rid of. That is one of the reasons I have so many cutting. One gardener told me that she 'always' has trouble with aphids when she grows them indoors so she brings them inside and barely waters them until spring. She them puts them outside and fertilizes them well and they grow and bloom. Mine older ones bloom in the house but I detest the aphids! ...so am letting them go almost dormant as well then ....outside with them!
    I hope this is helpful. I love burmansia. All parts of the plant is toxic of course..........I get rashes from them if I don't wear gloves. I wouldn't have them if I had small children.
    cheers:)

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Interesting regarding "aphids" infestation problems. I've never encountered this but maybe it's a result of my rooting and follow up technique. Come to think of it, I've never had an aphid problem with Brugmansia .
    I've also rooted these with in water which is changed daily. The cuttings root up in a couple of weeks at room temp and are potted up then moved shortly afterward to a cool (50°f - 10°C) area for the remainer of the winter season. Watered sparingly, they're then set out in the garden or in pots for the coming season. Water and feed without hesitaton after setting out.
    For the record, all flower well in the late Summer/Autumn of the same season planted.

Cheers, LPN.

4. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi LPN thank you for the advice. I will try to follow it and see how things go. :) cheers

5. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

I have my little collection of various brug cuttings sitting around in jars. I have had varying successes with these. So I have a couple of questions. I end up with a lot that just seem to rot or die off in the water. As well, I have never managed to get a single B. sanguinea started with a cutting. So:

1. Does putting cuttings directly into a starting medium increase success?
    2. Does using a rooting hormone on them increase success?
    3. Has anyone tried using the kits that have a clear, jelly-like rooting material into which you poke a cutting?
    4. LPN, thanks for the no-brainer, at least for me, about changing the water daily. Does everyone else do that? It seems like the right way to go but I've always feared losing the first little root hairs.

I moved all my adult brugs into our wood shed with a smal window. They spend their winter just barely kept from freezing when we get cold spells like we have now. Our outside temp. slipped to -4.5 C last night. Diane

6. LPN

Hi Diane,

My experience is somewhat limited, but the water in the jar has worked for me with the types I have. I'd seen a fellow once use an aquarium aerator to help keep the water in his rooting container clear (less frequent water changes).
    I don't recall any other details but good success was evident with his larger scale system. I imagine he divised this method to eliminate the daily water changes on such a scale.

I don't think putting cuttings directly into a rooting medium is especially advantagous. Largely because it requires more space but you may be able to come up with a way to beat that dilema.

I've not used rooting hormone on Brugmansia so I can't offer any advise. Again all the types I have root easily without any, I wouldn't have the need to try. I've used powder and gel type rooting hormone on different cuttings but not with Brugmansia.

As far as ... "I've always feared losing the first little root hairs.
    I pot the cuttings up before any real fragile roots develop. At some point it's very obvious the cutting are taking and then they get moved into a moist potting soil in one gallon pots.

Hope this helps a bit ... Cheers, LPN (Barrie)
    P.S. Just to again let you know, Banana Joe and I really enjoyed the tour of your garden last time out.

7. LPN

8. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Barrie -Thanks for the great advice. As well, I've printed out the website you also sent. Hopefully I'm not too late to get the cuttings taking from this year's cuttings. And at least some of what I've been doing might work. The cane method of laying it flat looks like a winner for me maybe next year. Joe once told me that he would just stick them in a pail in the garage.

You'll have to come again in the summer to see me when my taros, lilies and gingers are doing their thing. Thanks again. Diane